Spoiler issue

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

A couple of times I have parked up, switched the ignition off, and got out the car then found the spolier in the up position.

Have not used the manual spoiler button.

Car was in garage for some other issues recently but that related to steering wheel buttons.

It's going back to the garage,....but anybody had anything like this ?

(2018 P380 V6)

CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I would guess there are 3 failure modes. Mechanical, electrical and/or electronic.
If mechnical or electrical, you would expect to have the same issue when raising and lowering using the manual button.
An electronic failure might be related to a sensor intended to determine vehicle speed.
Best scenario would be if raising and lowering manually resolved a mechanical sticking problem.
Have you checked the action standing behind the car while somebody else works the spoiler manually?
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

The other solution is to stop moving into your parking space above 50mph!!
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
Garry_

Post by Garry_ »

Hi, new owner here with the same problem and wondering if fixed or what the root cause was...?

Spoiler deploys as expect but does not close when below 50 mph. To close after a run out I have to put the gearbox into park and press the spoiler button to make it retract. If I press the spoiler button when moving I get a warning saying 'spoiler not available'

I read it may be due to a depleted battery causing a number gremlins to appear...
scm

Post by scm »

Garry_ wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:23 pm I read it may be due to a depleted battery causing a number gremlins to appear...
if you think that's a possible cause, give the battery a good charge and diagnose from there.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Garry_

Post by Garry_ »

Thanks for the reply scm, I intend to do just that after purchasing a charger/conditioner
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Garry_ wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:32 pm Thanks for the reply scm, I intend to do just that after purchasing a charger/conditioner
CTEC MXS5 is used by many of us on here. Charges, reconditions and maintains, so can be left on overnight as a one off or left connected long term
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Garry_ wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:23 pm Hi, new owner here with the same problem and wondering if fixed or what the root cause was...?

Spoiler deploys as expect but does not close when below 50 mph. To close after a run out I have to put the gearbox into park and press the spoiler button to make it retract. If I press the spoiler button when moving I get a warning saying 'spoiler not available'

I read it may be due to a depleted battery causing a number gremlins to appear...
Sorry but think you have a different problem to me. I didn't get any spolier warning messages. And first time it happened I had just left the Jag service centre and had not got above 50 yet before parking up for petrol and finding the spolier up.

To this day I am not sure if it was just user error / stupidity, perhaps pressing the spolier button by mistake when reaching for the exhaust button. It was all in the middle of a lot of confusion with steering wheel button replacements and wiring issues and perhaps me imagining I had a spolier issue related to that.
Garry_

Post by Garry_ »

Thank you for your update Duvetday and for your recommendation cj10jeeper, ordered and it is on its way!
Garry_

Post by Garry_ »

After an overnight charge my problem still remains.

I took the car out for a spin yesterday, switched on dynamic mode and the spoiler deployed at around 50 mph as it should. It remained up even when entering an urban area and driving below 30mph, incl stationary at traffic lights.

I decided to switch off dynamic to see if that was the problem but it remained deployed during the sub 30mph tootle back home in standard drive mode. The spoiler only closed when parked, in 'P' and I depressed the spoiler button on the centre console.

For the avoidance of doubt, the spoiler switch was not illuminated until I manually closed the spoiler on the driveway at home.

Wondering what to look for now...?

2015 MY coupe
3.0 v6

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post