Paint Issue

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
leedsjag

Post by leedsjag »

Hi

I've recently noticed a "crack" in the paint on the inside of my drivers door near the hinge as per the picture below: -

paint.jpg

Any thoughts as to what may have caused it? Do other cars have it? I'd guess it's caused by strain somehow, but can't figure out how that bit would have been under an strain. Possible effect from a prior accident? Wind or otherwise causing harsh door opening? Poor quality from the factory?

Opinions welcome.

Thanks
2014 RWD R Coupe in Polaris White

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Can't see a crack in that photo to be honest, only the fold of the panel over a bonding strip.

As you don't have your car details in the footer to get an idea of age, coupe / 'vert, etc. then if it concerns you for something that's in a place no one else will look I would just run a fine layer of touch up paint over it and then seal it - or use some clear nail polish even.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
leedsjag

Post by leedsjag »

Lunar wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:25 am Can't see a crack in that photo to be honest, only the fold of the panel over a bonding strip.

As you don't have your car details in the footer to get an idea of age, coupe / 'vert, etc. then if it concerns you for something that's in a place no one else will look I would just run a fine layer of touch up paint over it and then seal it - or use some clear nail polish even.
Thanks Lunar - good point on the Signature - sorted :)

It does look different to the other side which is why I was concerned. Only had the car a week, so probably just bein 4nal and worrying that there might be something more sinister afoot.

I can see it follows the seam now you mention it - below is the other side. It's definitely separated, but I guess that's easily done over time/use of the door under its own weight etc, and the driver door obviously gets more use :) A quick touch up to protect the metal underneath sounds sensible.

crack2.jpg

2014 RWD R Coupe in Polaris White
Tel

Post by Tel »

Minor issue, it's just where the filler hasn't dried when the two cars were joined together.....😆
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩