What is Sim data used for?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Hi all,

I’ve just returned from a 10 day trip to Gibraltar and back, on day 7 I got an email from Ubigi saying 90% of my (500mb) monthly data had been used up. During the drive I got a message saying all my monthly data had been used and asking if I wanted to turn off data, which I did. However, everything still worked and remote app and journeys etc were fine. I use waze with Apple CarPlay so traffic etc was all still working.

So my question, what does the data sim actually provide that is useful? I didn’t notice anything missing that I normally use.

BTW, car was great for the 3200 mile trip!

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I thought it was mostly for traffic alerts and car updates, but I know you can also link your phone to it and use it as a 'hotspot'. Might be worth double-checking that this hasn't been enabled by mistake? Something is off though, as after 2 weeks here in Portugal, mine has barely used 100MB.

I'm currently on a 3-week trip through Portugal (though an entire week of that - ending today - has been in self-isolation after contracting covid) and, as per yourself, the car has been a joy to drive over here (the roads along the Douro river, for example, are heaven on earth).
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Deleted User 1715

Cluck wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:50 pm I thought it was mostly for traffic alerts and car updates, but I know you can also link your phone to it and use it as a 'hotspot'. Might be worth double-checking that this hasn't been enabled by mistake? Something is off though, as after 2 weeks here in Portugal, mine has barely used 100MB.

I'm currently on a 3-week trip through Portugal (though an entire week of that - ending today - has been in self-isolation after contracting covid) and, as per yourself, the car has been a joy to drive over here (the roads along the Douro river, for example, are heaven on earth).
Thanks, I’ll check the settings, maybe it’s using data for something I’m not even using? When the initial 3 year subscription runs out I’m wondering what I would lose if I don’t bother with it though? Maybe satellite imagery for the Jaguar navigation etc?
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

The main things the SIM is used for are any SOTA updates and satellite imagery + traffic data for the satnav. Another thing is if you have enabled online media and for instance stream Spotify using the built in Spotify app, which from what I've seen uses up much more data than the satnav.

Can't remember now if data for the remote app and route planner apps also goes over this SIM or the car's built in SIM, but that shouldn't be a lot.

About the in car warnings about that you're about to use up all your data and might want to turn it off - that's just a counter in the car which you set up yourself and I've noticed that it's not entirely reliable. Mine once also started displaying these warnings incorrectly so I reset it.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Deleted User 1715

MajorTom wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:05 pm The main things the SIM is used for are any SOTA updates and satellite imagery + traffic data for the satnav. Another thing is if you have enabled online media and for instance stream Spotify using the built in Spotify app, which from what I've seen uses up much more data than the satnav.

Can't remember now if data for the remote app and route planner apps also goes over this SIM or the car's built in SIM, but that shouldn't be a lot.

About the in car warnings about that you're about to use up all your data and might want to turn it off - that's just a counter in the car which you set up yourself and I've noticed that it's not entirely reliable. Mine once also started displaying these warnings incorrectly so I reset it.
Thanks, that’s useful about the counter, not seen that! I don’t use Spotify or the Jag satnav so probably won’t bother getting a data sim at the end of the free subscription
scm

Post by scm »

AIUI, the car's internal SIM is used for "infrastructure stuff" - remote app, journeys, SOTA updates, car systems monitoring (e.g. flat battery), and everything that's user optional goes via the user SIM (internet searches, additional nav stuff, etc., in short anything that Jaguar doesn't think it should have to subsidise you for.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
kevc

Post by kevc »

I wouldn't be without live traffic updates.
When I first got my car the Ubigi one ran out of data with 10 days of the month to go. The 'top up' costs on it are ridiculous so I just bought a 3-mobile data SIM instead.

Yes you can use CarPlay/AndroidAuto but as you can't get that to display in the dash I'd rather have the jag maps on there.
Bluefire P450 AWD Dec '21
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Hi all, I think Apple CarPlay uses data from the Ubigi SIM when hotspot is off, but I haven't worked out how. Waze continues to work over CarPlay when "mobile data" is also switched off on the connectivity settings, so maybe it defaults to using the Ubigi SIM when a phone is hardwired? I'll keep trying a few different configurations and will repost if I work it out.
The onboard Nav might not be as good in general but on some trips I prefer to have the dash display.
The Ubigi top-ups are a bit pricey but the annual £58 for 3 GB / month is decent and cheaper than another SIM with EE so I'll probably bite the bullet and go with that, it will be plenty of data and a tank of V-Power is into the triple digits these days...
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21
Deleted User 1715

When my Ubigi data ran out I switched data off in the car. Apple CarPlay and waze continued to work as normal across Europe.

I’m fairly sure the data was just being used by the Jaguar nav system in the background and therefore of no value to me.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post