Single tick on turning

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I would take the car to a flat car park with some space, ideally with a passenger and have them outside for some diagnosis. Do some left and right turns, back and forth and determine which corner it's at and what specific action triggers it. If it's just on left or right look for something loading up like a brake caliper, driveshaft. If both then driveline. See if it is under load, neutral load or overun.

Personally I doubt it's a dustshield as mine went on both sides over recent years and these give a constant or intermittent squeal as they rub the disk if the blind rivets holding them on break. (but super easy to eliminate by just reaching around the wheel when on lock)
Pads tend to squeal but can click if loading up. UJ's often click when loaded by turning and diffs can do odd things, but mainly rumble, judder, etc. Next I'd be looking at wheelnuts, tyre wear, loose or worn suspension bushes, shock absorbers, etc.

Bit of diagnosis first
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

Thanks everyone. I had a quick look under there and all I've seen was what seemed a lot of surface corrosion (guess they're too much in bed with Land Rover ;) ).

I think I will need to get under when it's cold to have a proper look...
MY16 V8 R AWD Coupe - Black Berry
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

CV joint? check the boots on the driveshafts for leaking grease.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

Right - I had a proper crawl under the car this morning. For a vehicle that trumpets its aluminium construction there is an absolute metric ton of rusty bits at the back end, some of them are properly flaky and it looks awful, how much would it really have eaten into profits to do some proper *&%$ing rust-proofing :x

Anyway, rant over, I can't see anything snagging, the CV boots look a bit grimy but nothing leaking. Without jacking her up I can't tell if there's play in any suspension or axle components. I think next step will have to be driving in figures of eight in a car park with a willing volunteer to listen out for the problem.
MY16 V8 R AWD Coupe - Black Berry