Single tick on turning

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

Hi all, very odd thing just noticed with my 2016 MY V8 AWD - it gives a single metallic sounding click or tick when turning through about 90 degrees at fairly slow speed. Roundabouts seem to make it happen most, but not on all of them. Sounds like it's coming from the back. What could it be?

Are these cars known to crack springs or is this an exhaust or diff issue do you think? Trying to think what else could give a noise like that intermittently.
MY16 V8 R AWD Coupe - Black Berry

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

haven’t heard of any spring issues but have heard of diff noises and brake back plates causing noises. Nothing quite like you describe though. Might be worth having a look underneath and changing the diff oil as a precaution?
scm

Post by scm »

If it's only a single click it's more likely some bracket or heat shield getting snagged when you turn.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

Thanks both - I might have to crawl underneath and have a look then.
According to the Jag service history the rear diff oil was done in October 2019, I'd hope it doesn't need doing again that soon?!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Bluebottle wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:13 am Thanks both - I might have to crawl underneath and have a look then.
According to the Jag service history the rear diff oil was done in October 2019, I'd hope it doesn't need doing again that soon?!
Rear diff oil is every 4yrs however mine was black and filthy after 4yrs and 29k miles so will be getting it done more often.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Bluebottle

Post by Bluebottle »

simpleR wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:03 pm Rear diff oil is every 4yrs however mine was black and filthy after 4yrs and 29k miles so will be getting it done more often.
Thanks simpleR - I'll be doing that next year then, will be probably less than 29k miles since its last change though!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Mine is here for reference.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5575#p56668
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Mr.Tea

Post by Mr.Tea »

For reference; I had my brakes dust/debry shield come loose and it was a constant metal on metal scraping noise. Really annoying. I just jacked the car up and cable tied it back into place as it appears that it's originally riveted in place. Originally I thought it was a wheel bearing on its way out.
scm

Post by scm »

My brake shield was held in place by three Torx bolts which unscrewed themselves on the right side and made a screeching noise when I turned left. My indie sorted it out nice and cheaply ....
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Exactly the same experience as scm with RHS shield.
The service supervisor at my main dealer had a new one fitted while I wait at no charge, as a gesture of goodwill.
…of course he no longer works there, for doing rash and profit eating things like that.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust