Front wheel tracking.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Hi guys. Not been on here for a while , hence my car has covered 330 miles in 2 years.
At the last MOT the guy told me the front tyres were wearing on the inside edge a little. Tyres almost as new . Pirelli Pzero all round.
I asked Son in law to do a full 4 wheel alignment check on there new laser system. He said he could not do it unless i put 2 new tyres on the car. Not an option.
So does or has anyone had a similar issue & is it just the tracking that needs doing.
No suspension wear at all. The car has only done 20,450 dry miles. Any help appreciated.
Steve.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Well it’s a great excuse to ditch those Pirelli’s (pun intended), although it might be a little early still to find some Michelin PS5s’s.
If it is only slight wear and you’d not noticed tramlining then I’d live with it for a while.
I take it the tyres aren’t originals - else they are likely to show signs of sidewall crazing anyway and a sure sign to get them changed whatever the tread depth.
Best option would be new Michelins, Hunter 4 wheel alignment, and take it for a tour to put some miles on it and enjoy the car like it was designed for 😎
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

330 miles in 2 years?
I've done that this week so far already!

When I take mine to the Pirelli Performance Centre they check it on their hunter system automatically as it drives into the garage and then it is aligned after new tyres.
But I see no reason why you can't just have an alignment without new tyres unless they are now illegal.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

steviegtr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 pm So does or has anyone had a similar issue & is it just the tracking that needs doing.
Yes, I had the same issue on my V6. At 20k miles, the rear tyres were worn evenly down to the bars, but the fronts had 5mm of tread apart from the inner 1 inch which was really worn.

Put a set of Michelins on and the 4 wheel alignment showed the car had 2 degrees of toe out, when it should have been 2 degrees of toe in. Delivered new!

Having the proper alignment made the steering slightly less sensitive at high speed, apart from that it felt no different. Uneven tyre wear problem was solved completely.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Why can’t it be aligned without new tyres? My local Hunter equipped garage do it whenever I ask (for free unless an issue then charge per adjustment) and actually prefer the old tyres on so they can see before what if anything is wrong. Always do a full set up after new are fitted

As an aside some inner edge wear is normal due to the suspension set-up.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Mickjaguar. Yes i did wonder if it was towing out slightly. Mot on Friday so will ask if he can check it.

cj10jeeper. I could not understand why the alignment could not be done. Maybe he could not be bothered with a nowt job. Also i see as you say there is a fair bit of negative camber on the front, so that would not help.
Steve.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Lunar wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:28 am Well it’s a great excuse to ditch those Pirelli’s (pun intended), although it might be a little early still to find some Michelin PS5s’s.
If it is only slight wear and you’d not noticed tramlining then I’d live with it for a while.
I take it the tyres aren’t originals - else they are likely to show signs of sidewall crazing anyway and a sure sign to get them changed whatever the tread depth.
Best option would be new Michelins, Hunter 4 wheel alignment, and take it for a tour to put some miles on it and enjoy the car like it was designed for 😎
I would change the tyres but they were all put on new when i bought the car in 2019. They are the correct ( J ) marked for Jaguar.
You are so right about doing some miles. :D :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post