Active exhaust at idle?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
maddog1982

Post by maddog1982 »

So quick question. Pressing the active exhaust button is it noticible at idle? I swear the S we sat in and started in the show room made the tone deeper but the last two I tried didn't seem to make much difference? Cars were outside and they were dynamics too.

All cars were 3.0 380hp

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Presuming active exhaust was working (some get squeaky or stick) it depends on MY and whether they have had a software update.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Tjp

Post by Tjp »

My active exhaust switch doesn’t seem to make any noticeable difference at idle… valves are free and don’t stick, but I can tell the difference on throttle. Possibly had the software upgrade before I purchased.
maddog1982

Post by maddog1982 »

Hi All,

It's a very early dynamic on a 17 plate - All jag history so if there's any updates it would have had them. It just sounded loud when I hit the dynamic button very loud! When we press the race button on the golf r the tone goes deeper so was kinda expecting that. I guess I can get under it and see if they are opening and closing.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I have an early oem with active exhausts, so no later model suppression, software updates, applicable or applied.
When it starts up the exhaust is open and it revs up and holds that until a gear is engaged, pops and bangs and then drop to idle. All theatrical and noisy. From the point it returns to idle it's hard to tell the difference, perhaps a bit deeper, but touch the throttle, drive off etc. and very very different and distinctive.

Take a look ender or video it to check both valves are opening correctly, but I don't think anything is wrong,
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
maddog1982

Post by maddog1982 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:44 am I have an early oem with active exhausts, so no later model suppression, software updates, applicable or applied.
When it starts up the exhaust is open and it revs up and holds that until a gear is engaged, pops and bangs and then drop to idle. All theatrical and noisy. From the point it returns to idle it's hard to tell the difference, perhaps a bit deeper, but touch the throttle, drive off etc. and very very different and distinctive.

Take a look ender or video it to check both valves are opening correctly, but I don't think anything is wrong,
Cheers pal!!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

On early cars the valves were either open or closed, so the button or dynamic switch could be used to toggle the valves. i.e. if you wanted to be in dynamic and quiet, you could use the button to close them, or in normal mode use it to open.

Later cars fall into 2 categories, I think. At some point by 2018 the valves didn't start to open until 1500 revs (probably the software update mentioned which could be retrospective on earlier cars). Then around mid 2018 the PPFs were also added to the cats. It's all got too clever and complicated, so the switches don't seem to be logical any more.

Easy to prove if it's the nanny software operating, by pulling fuse 15 from the engine bay. With the fuse in place these cars don't fully open the baffles unless there's more than 3000rpm or heavy acceleration. With it removed the valves are wide open and you can hear immediately the rumble from tickover, it's very different. For the V8 anyway, V6 behaviour might be slightly different.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

Probably one of the most discussed and confusing items of f-type operation. Many have tried to write a definitive guide to when the exhaust opens/closes but as soon as they do someone contradicts it or says theirs is different.
This doc from Jaguar (around 2015 I think) explains the situation then.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/atta ... xhaust.jpg
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Just to add to the confusion, my MY20 P380 valves work at idle with a noticeable increase in noise and a deeper tone. Maybe they changed it back at the same time they fitted GPF’s?
scm

Post by scm »

The active exhaust switch behaviour seems to vary from MY to MY. My MY18 has the 1500 rpm start for the active exhaust switch, while the valves open fully at tickover when I switch to dynamic mode. I think (but can't prove it!) that before the software update that cancels dynamic mode on every startup was applied, the valves opened at tickover with the active exhaust switch, not 1500 rpm. As they say - YMMV. :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post