Active exhaust at idle?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
maddog1982

Post by maddog1982 »

Thanks all! Seems its not overly clear and varies a lot!

Ash1819

Post by Ash1819 »

Hi, new to the group , I have just purchased a 2019 March registration Svr, which is stunning and collecting in a week or so, I presume from the forum that the early 19 plates have the cat filter
allot of topics on this fuse 15 trick , can anyone confirm this before I try this as don’t want this to go into limp mode etc, if you have a 2019 Svr or r model

Fuse 15 gone and sport dynamic, manual shift I hear is the best you can get without mods, which I don’t want to do as will jeopardise my warranty .

Thanks
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Yes I have a September 2019 registered SVR and the removal of fuse 15 has not caused any issues in 6+ months of driving. Although someone who had a 2019 R said his went into limp mode when he tried.

It is slightly droney on the motorway, but just the right side of annoying. Other than that it' sounds just right inside the car (not much idea how loud it is outside) . Nice rumble at low revs.

Later cars don't pop and crackle like the earlier ones (not just the PPF cars). They seem to do it more when cold and are not so easy to provoke.

I get my hand up behind the bumper and exercise the exhaust valves periodically, in case they stick open. My fuse will go back in for the service and MOT in a couple of weeks.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Ash1819

Post by Ash1819 »

Can you still feather the throttle on lift off to get a bit more or has the new software put a dampener on this aswell ?

Obviously I’m not expecting the 2014 pops and crackles you hear on YouTube , but just want the best I can get being stock Svr ! Sure the Svr exhaust would be better than standard r anyway.

Will defo try the fuse 15 once I have driven it for a day or two

Thanks
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Yes the throttle can be feathered a bit still, around 2500 revs is the spot usually. Mine seems to go berserk randomly, as it will ocassionally produce a massive bang or gunfire with hardly any effort, other times it just refuses to be provoked at all. Almost catlike!

This video has pre and post ppf F-types on it. The sound quality suffers from wind noise a bit. A 2017 SVR (orange) at 2:16 minutes , 2017 SVR (black) at 2:24 minutes, then a 2019 (blue) at 2:47 minutes and both again at 4:16 minutes , then 2017 (orange ) at 4:56 minutes again. Max speed on this would have been circa 40 mph, so part throttle at best.

2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Markusd

Post by Markusd »

As i described in my introduction, i am irritated of removing the fuse F15.
It is just more simpler to pull of the tube´s of the active exhaust valves. The ecu system doesn´t recognize it and you can add the deeper ton when driving.

What i recognized is that the deeper tone seems come from the subwoofer behind me. Just makes no difference when its on idle if i push the ative exhaust button, becaus valves are fully open.

Have it try if there is same as in my V6 Car from MY20. Driving at 2000 rpm and press active exhaust button, and hold your hand over the subwoofer. It seems it comes from there.

:lol: Syntetic exhaust.

I would like to have the old version (this sound was amazing), but with the LED Front and the bigger Touchscreen. :(
F Type P340 Cabriolet Chequered Flag Edition MY20 with GPF
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

Some good info in this thread - I’ve not yet pulled fuse 15 (I will do soon!) but I think I have the updated software on my MY19 SVR which means pressing the exhaust button does nothing on idle - valves remain firmly closed (I jumped out the car to look).
I don’t mind the quiet exhaust as much as I expected - certainly makes it easier to get on with neighbours etc - but I would definitely like the exhaust button to act like a switch so that pressing it opens valves 100% and leaves them open. I can see the valves are open by default - so when engine is off and car parked up the valves are clearly open.

The F-Pace SVR exhaust behaves in the opposite way to the F-Type - by default (when engine is off) the valves are closed. With that car you can turn ignition on with no foot on the brake pedal, press the exhaust button, then start the car for a loud start. Pressing the exhaust button also does change the sound on idle. The equivalent to removing fuse 15 is to unplug a connector in the boot AFTER you have opened the valve using the exhaust button - then the exhaust valve stays open all the time.
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
munchie

Post by munchie »

I pulled fuse 15 the other day on my 2021 p450 the other day it does make more noise lower in the rev range, not too intrusive but how a v8 should sound. IVe not Experienced any drone either.
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

I have also now tried the car with fuse 15 pulled - wasn’t as loud as I expected. A very slight increase in “drone” when engine is under load but it’s a nice drone - not at all annoying. In fact most people probably wouldn’t even call it drone. If anything the car sounds more natural now. Best thing is this change is free, very quick and and easy to do and fully reversible.
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
Tel

Post by Tel »

Most newer cars removing Fuse 15 will do nothing.

Why? - Because later cars (circa Plate 2015 MY 2016) do not have the vacuum pump, plumbing and associated valves that earlier cars have. They rely on manifold vacuum only to achieve the same result.

On early cars though, it is definitely F15 that is the one to pull:

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 10.45.18.png

For the full picture of the exhaust setup, of which the final page is handy, see attached.

Active Exhaust System overview.pdf
(993.71 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads