Electronic differential oil ananlsysis - Done

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Tel

Post by Tel »

May help some folk...

Car's current mileage is 16k (2015MY) and it's had 3 rear e-diff oil changes in that time. Castrol BOT720 used at every change.

I wanted to see how the oil faired just after 1500 miles of spirited use, so sent a sample to the labs that I use for engine oil for analysis.

Enclosed are the results for info.
Noted the small amount of water in the oil. I will check that the breather is free to 'breathe' in due course:

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 11.57.28.png

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 11.57.07.png

BOT 720 is smelly and gloopy when cold, so don't be alarmed if it comes out slowly during a change.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩

Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting.

Why 3 diff changes in 16k though? That is a lot right? What is the recommended interval?
2017 R
South East Cornwall
scm

Post by scm »

Jimmyrn85 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 pmWhat is the recommended interval?
The schedule for mine is every 4 years, front diff every 9 years and transfer box every 3.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Jimmyrn85 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 pm Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting.

Why 3 diff changes in 16k though? That is a lot right? What is the recommended interval?
Since 2014, I started to see an increased trend in failing differentials for no particular reason. The common denominator seemed (to me at least) that the oil was in a terrible state if the JLR replacement frequency was followed.
Easy and relatively cheap way to tell, is to do what I have done as I see it.

All my toys get regular oil transplants if used or not...
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Tel wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:21 pm
Jimmyrn85 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 pm Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting.

Since 2014, I started to see an increased trend in failing differentials for no particular reason. The common denominator seemed (to me at least) that the oil was in a terrible state if the JLR replacement frequency was followed.
Easy and relatively cheap way to tell, is to do what I have done as I see it.

All my toys get regular oil transplants if used or not...
Thanks Tel. So are there 4 or 5 oils to regularly change?

Engine oil, gearbox oil, front diff, transfer box, rear diff?

I have a MY18 R, with 18000miles on it. Engine oil regularly changed and rear diff just once at 12000 miles.
2017 R
South East Cornwall
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

I was having a look if it had been done on my V6 S and to my surprise after having had a look at all the service schedule it is due on the 9th year which seems to long.

Car is going in in December and I will make sure it's done, even though the car as only done 15000 miles in the last 6 years.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 11.19.50.png

MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
FYPE123

Post by FYPE123 »

I have a 2014 v6s I can't see anywhere where the diff oil gets changed on the JLR service site? Is it called Oil-final drive on the 120 month service?

144,000MLS/108 MONTHS SERVICE
Plug-drain
Filter-oil
Belt-drive
Belt-drive
Fluid-screen
3+ promotional oil

160,000MLS/120 MONTHS SERVICE
Plug-drain
Plug-oil drain
Filter-oil
Filter-air particle
Spark plug
Plug
Oil-final drive
Oil-transmission
Fluid-screen
Antifreeze
3+ promotional oil
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

^^^ Yup, on the site where you can book an upcoming service it lists it as 'final drive'. If you look up your service history then it lists it as per the screenshot in Diabolik's post (ie, Rear locking differential oil)

Like scm, mine is listed as a service item every 4 years, so mine will get swapped out next year. Unfortunately, I am parked on a narrow sloped and gravelled driveway, so doing any sort of maintenance myself is pretty much a no-go, otherwise I'd almost certainly be changing the diff oil myself more frequently. That said, I may just get it changed every 2nd year from the next service.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post