flat battery

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
captainham

Post by captainham »

Thanks Tel.

Yeah it does say AGM on the battery, I was just confused as the book said normal mode is fine for most AGM batteries, and the AGM mode was for certain types such as Optima.
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT

CJH

Post by CJH »

I think I have the same problem, car completely dead after not using it for 8 days. Only done 1500 miles in it. Been waiting for Jaguar Assist for over 3 hours now. Totally fed up. This has basically wasted a day of our precious holiday.
Had similar battery issues with my Evoque (funnily enough another JLR product) Why didnt I learn the first time?
chicb

Post by chicb »

Buy a ctek instead of Jaguar one. They are the same charger only you will pay for the Jaguar privilege . My F type was put on the ctek in November & was only been started this week, first time start. A discharged battery will probably take around a day to have all the 7 yellow lights & the green light illuminated on the cteck. The car will start with only 3 yellow lights illuminated, although ctek say it should be 4 yellows. If you are not using it much, its worth putting it on the ctek as it monitors the charge & pulses it when needed. This is not like an old fashioned charger which just bangs in a load of charge & if left long enough can ruin the battery. Ctek is actually beneficial to the battery.
Mine is connected into a cigarette socket in the boot, the wire is not trapped when closing the boot as the seal is pretty soft
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
CJH

Post by CJH »

Thanks for the reply, It dreading going on holiday for a week or two and coming back to find the battery flat at the airport.
Tel

Post by Tel »

CJH wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:37 am Thanks for the reply, It dreading going on holiday for a week or two and coming back to find the battery flat at the airport.
If it's a decent airport car park...they always have jump leads and port packs on hand!!!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Harriermate

Post by Harriermate »

Hi guys. New to the forum... my F Type is brand new 4 weeks old and after several long journeys, it sat in the garage for 2 weeks. On climbing in it was so flat that no lights on at all on the dashboard. Jaguar tried to tell me that all batteries go flat after a while if not in use!!! Hmmmm! 900 miles in 2 weeks in new car (all journeys of at least an hour). I don't think I should be needing to buy a charger on a new car to make it start!!!!
Dread leaving it at an airport for 2 week summer holiday because it sounds a certainty that it's not going to start on return.... and it's little consolation to say that airport carparks have jump leads!

Welcome to world of JLR it appears!
When I grow up I want to be fighter pilot!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Harriermate,

Funny how people have differing experiences with vehicles/manufacturers.

My F-Type is weekend only. Sometimes left 2-3 weeks outdoors, although with two covers on. Never had any issue with battery power. Have a Ctek charger for use during winter hibernation.

Wife drives an 2013 RR Evoque Dynamic 3-Door Coupe. Owned from new, daily driven in all weathers, short trips & trek to Scotland twice a year. Proper workhorse. Now done 64383 & has never missed a beat. Started on the button every time after holiday breaks etc.

In fact the only issue she’s had with it were the front RR lettering becoming discoloured.

Maybe an under lying issue?

Cheers,

Darren
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
apr1962

Post by apr1962 »

My car regularly sits for more than 3 weeks and always starts. I only use CTEK in winter.
MY 2018 V8R AWD Convertible
Ammonite Grey / Black Leather
Modifications:
SVR Bonnet Vents
Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel
Jaguar Aluminium Paddles
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Many modern cars do have discharge issues and can flatten batteries, hence all airports have lots of start pack on hand.
My XF had issues of rapid discharge and needed a software upgrade to fix it.
5ayin this my F Type frequently stands for 2 weeks and never fails. Original near 5 year old battery.
You certainly have a problem so it’s off to the dealers to see where the discharge is
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Im confused by people getting flat batteries. Have you got anything hard wired in like dashcams?

The manual says to get from a low battery warning to full charge is 30min driving above 0c.

I drive my car everyday but I left it for 2.5 weeks in March and no problem at all. I was told the car goes to sleep after 8 hours and then shutdown after 48 hours. You can see that on the e-Remote app as the last contact date doesnt change after 2 days.

It didnt even display a low battery warning when I got in! Start and gone.

I've owned quite a few cars but never bothered with battery conditioners unless you're leaving them for over a month without starting them.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post