flat battery

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Arne

Post by Arne »

Hi,

I have the Jaguar battery charger/conditioner and run an extension lead into the boot of my Coupe. The cable exits quite happily out of the right hand side and the powered tailgate closes without an issue.

Regards,

Scoobydoo

I have the same solution, but with a Ctek charger/conditioner.

Ps: the manual says that the jumper leads in the engine compartment is for exactly that - to help jumpstart the car.

Regarding charging the battry the manual says that the battery needs to be removed from the car - which is probabely just a safety precaution.

Arne2015-08-14 13:41:43
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

I'm using a Ctek Multi XS 7000 and it is supplied with an adapter lead that you can hardwire to the battery in the boot, leaving the other end available to quickly hook up to the charger at any time you need to. The cable is sufficiently thin that you can shut the boot over the cable, but it is best if you do shut the boot, to try to keep the charger on the outside, in order to allow for a greater volume of air around it for cooling......When it's working hard, it can get quite hot!

The much bigger Ctek chargers have cooling fans inside them.

Hard wiring to the contacts under the bonnet might be the best/most convenient solution on reflection. I might try that.

The Jagster2015-08-14 14:11:30
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

The jaguar charger is a Ctek with a different front for double the price.

Buy a Ctek and fit it yourself using the instructions for the jaguar charger as it's the same. There are two contacts in the boot which mean the Ctek will work with the battery system on the car and charge both batteries.

2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Tel

Post by Tel »

The F is quite has quite a heavy current consumption vehicle even when alarmed (in standby). I noted it more with the earlier 2014 double battery cars than with the 2015 single battery and Auto/Stop/start module, so I can only conclude that some design improvements have been integrated. I will get round to measure the demands on a rainy day.

It's a common issue with many modern cars, and as discussed, most of us use CTEK chargers, which as it happens, is identical to the Jaguar one, only has the CTEK label on it and is cheaper.

I went for the MXS 5.0 http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0 as it will happily supply 5A, and also covers a range of barttery types; lead acid, advanced glass matt etc.
On top of this, you will need a comfort extension cable, this will enable you to bring the lead out of the battery connection area, through the trim and once the boot is open, give you a couple of metres spare, to reach the charger.

The wiring is straightforward, and attached is the official Jaguar .pdf to get you going: http://www.mediafire.com/view/6gasarph66d67a5/JAF_0048_1E_-_Battery_Charging_Kit.pdf
Be careful wielding spanners and sockets around the 'bus-bar', theres enough current there to weld the lot together and cause a great deal of mess. I would suggest you disconnect the battery first, that's something that is missing form the document, but could save a hefty repay bill if you inadvertently drop the socket.

I have cable tied the lead around the back of the battery and out throughout the small hatch on the inner boot, left hand side (shown in the doc). It's tidy, discrete, and when you are doe charging, just roll up the lead and stuff it under the elastic cargo strap.

Just make sure that when you exit the boot and make the connection, that the words don't go anywhere near the boot catch mechanism for obvious reasons.

It can take several nights to get the battery up to condition when it has not been done before. My regime has been faultless; every time I finish with the car and it's in the garage, it gets connected. Never had an issue....thus far!

Tel2015-08-15 14:14:38
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Geminii

Post by Geminii »

Geminii

Post by Geminii »

OOPs I hate double pastes
Geminii

Post by Geminii »

Methinks I have been over doing trying to sort Windows 10 funnies.
My own link does not get directly there either.
Weird I got an error message with the original too.
Out to drive around in the sun :p
Dave
Tel

Post by Tel »

Yep, the hyperlink properties of the forum automatically sticks in the http etc which is a pain!

UPDATED: Took another link form one of my previous posts...

Enjoy your spin, just got back from a blatt!

Tel2015-08-15 14:15:09
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
captainham

Post by captainham »

Just bought the Ctek 5.0 and hardwired the lead.

Do I need the 'extra' AGM mode when connected, or just plain old Car mode?

It's confusing as it says regular Car mode is fine for most AGM batteries, whereas some like Optima need the extra AGM mode...not sure which I have!
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
Tel

Post by Tel »

AGM - To be sure, check the battery has it on the sticky label.
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩