Transmission cooling issues

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
olaolu

Post by olaolu »

Sorry, it's a long one, so TLDR; I'm having transmission cooling issues and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this.

Okay, so on Wednesday, I opened up the transmission filter for a routine service (last I did was in December) and found some metal chips (see attached photo). After some analysis and consulting with other technicians, we resolved to simply do a full transmission service and check the oil content after a few test drives. That didn't end well as I ended up changing the gearbox after a very spirited test drive during which I got a P2787-4b: Clutch temperature too high DTC in the TCM (note: this does not trigger a check engine light).

Some backstory... when I first got the car, I occasionally used to have the well-known "Gearbox Fault" message where the transmission is stuck in park on fresh ignition cycles until after a few ignition toggles which eventually clears it. We tried updating the TCM software and other things mentioned in the forums but had no luck.

Because I'm technically inclined, I was able to do some investigation with my scanner and noticed that the message usually came up alongside a P0658-11 code on the transmission control module (Actuator supply voltage A - circuit low).

I figured this occurred after prolonged high-stress driving and started monitoring certain parameters on every drive. In particular, I was looking at:

- Transmission oil temperature
- Actuator supply voltage
- Control module supply voltage
- Control module voltage
- Control module internal temperature
- Engine coolant temperature

What I discovered from observing these values was that the DTC always got registered on the TCM when the transmission oil temperature was relatively higher than that of the engine (roughly around 10-30 degrees)... when this happened, the actuator supply voltage also reduced significantly obviously as a result of high resistance caused by heat internally.

Before thinking of a solution, my workaround was to clear the error whenever it came up after a drive and wait for the temperature to normalize while the car is idling before switching it off — this worked for the longest time and I never had to worry about the car being stuck in park on startup until the day the gearbox really took a beating and the TCM got fried this time (actuator supply voltage had a steady zero-value) before I could even clear the code and repeat my usual procedure.

We changed the TCM and while at it, did a full transmission service (oil + filter). After configuring the new module everything worked as usual, but I kept running into the Clutch temperature too high DTC.
It wasn't really a huge concern considering how aggressively I shift in manual and the car always gets driven hard, but still we changed the transmission oil cooler and did another full service just to be safe. Guess what? The error still always occurred after extremely hard driving, and just this Wednesday, after servicing the transmission and doing a test drive, the new TCM I installed in December got fried.

So I decided to change the transmission altogether with the hopes that there was some mechanical fault or damage inside the clutch (mind you, I never had any erratic shifting or slipping or selecting issues), so we did that — full transmission + torque converter replacement, configured the new module and went on a drive to perform the adaptation procedure.

After a few rounds of hard driving, boom — clutch temp too high again. Remember, this is a new gearbox and torque converter. Engine temp was around 100, transmission oil temp was reading 130s, but everything was fine still – just cleared the code afterwards and allowed the car sit idle before turning off.

In case you're wondering, my background is with stricter German cars (BMW, Audi, Porsche), so I have a habit of following specifications (or where applicable above spec): original JLR antifreeze (STJLR.651.5003 spec) w/ 50:50 mixture, all original parts including the transmission oil cooler, ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 etc. Also, I've never had engine cooling issues on this car as I did a cooling system overhaul (seals, pipes, hoses, water pump) as soon as I got it.

At this rate, I might need to have backup TCMs sitting around in case the new one gets fried again haha. Seriously though, what I’m thinking now is that either the oil cooler or JLR coolant isn’t optimized for ZF8HP in areas with relatively high ambient temp.

Couple questions:
- Has anyone ever run into a similar issue?
- Is there any other cooling component between the engine and the transmission I might be missing?
- Is there a performance transmission oil cooler for these cars?

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 6.53.35 AM.png

Last edited by olaolu on Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 V6S LHD
Stage 1 ECU Tune
VelocityAP 200-cell Hi-flo cats & downpipe

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi and welcome. Being LHD, where are you in the world?

I've not seen any other related posts on here.

I also thought the ZF8 gearbox was the same in all F-Type applications apart from ratios and final drive I would presume?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi there.
You’ve clearly got a lot of technical ability.
Winding things back a bit I have 2 thoughts.

Does the downpipe and cat upgrade create more heat and run past the transmission where it can cause greater heat sink effect?

Have you removed the 3 pack radiator assembly and given the transmission radiator a thorough check for any impact or corrosion damage? Also given it a thorough back flush to remove any deposits?
I ask because I recently had mine changed at its last service - a slight bulge was noticed (yes, a proper independent garage, not a 30 minute service at a main dealer) - and upon closer inspection it was internally corroded.

Best of luck in getting things sorted.

EDIT:
Just spotted you’ve changed the oil cooler - that rules out my second thought!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
olaolu

Post by olaolu »

Lunar wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:15 am Does the downpipe and cat upgrade create more heat and run past the transmission where it can cause greater heat sink effect?

Good thinking... maybe, but this issue existed even when the car was completely stock.

Lunar wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:15 am Just spotted you’ve changed the oil cooler

Indeed. I suggested we do that when I ran out of ideas... didn't make a difference.
2017 V6S LHD
Stage 1 ECU Tune
olaolu

Post by olaolu »

simpleR wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:57 am Hi and welcome. Being LHD, where are you in the world?

Thanks. I'm based in Lagos, Nigeria.

simpleR wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:57 am I also thought the ZF8 gearbox was the same in all F-Type applications apart from ratios and final drive I would presume?

I would presume the same.
2017 V6S LHD
Stage 1 ECU Tune
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

I’ve been to Lagos, where are you managing to drive the car hard the roads were all super busy where I went 🤣

The problem sounds really annoying though good luck with your search for a solution. Bloody hot country, wonder if the cooling is actually insufficient for there.

Your question about an updated cooler is a good one, I think you should ask a Jaguar race team for that.

David Appleby Engineering near Taunton in England used to race the F Type. They had updated rear diff, not sure about gearbox. I’d give them an email!
2017 R
South East Cornwall
olaolu

Post by olaolu »

Jimmyrn85 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:04 pm I’ve been to Lagos, where are you managing to drive the car hard the roads were all super busy where I went 🤣

@Jimmyrn85 Hahaha, Lagos is certainly very busy, so it's all about timing. Personally, I daily the car, but manage to avoid traffic 97% of the time. Where in Lagos did you visit?
Jimmyrn85 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:04 pm Your question about an updated cooler is a good one, I think you should ask a Jaguar race team for that.

David Appleby Engineering near Taunton in England used to race the F Type. They had updated rear diff, not sure about gearbox. I’d give them an email!

Great idea. I'll reach out to them.
2017 V6S LHD
Stage 1 ECU Tune
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

I was working on projects for SNEPCo, visited the central place over the big bridge a few times, but also getting out the to the heliport near the airport it was crazy! lol.

Also worked a bit in Port Hartcourt but didn't wander around there, wasn't allowed to!
2017 R
South East Cornwall
olaolu

Post by olaolu »

Jimmyrn85 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:03 pm I was working on projects for SNEPCo, visited the central place over the big bridge a few times

Ah, very nice. I think you're referring to Lagos Island.
Jimmyrn85 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:03 pm Also worked a bit in Port Hartcourt but didn't wander around there, wasn't allowed to!

Yeah, Port Harcourt is a tricky place to be even for myself, not to talk of foreigners. I personally haven't been there but know the gist. You gotta be a local to really understand the place.
2017 V6S LHD
Stage 1 ECU Tune
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Yes Lagos Island! I didn’t stay there though stayed on a hotel not far from the airport. Avoid the potholes buddy!

Although the pot holes in England are really bad lol, so no better!
2017 R
South East Cornwall

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post