Engine coolant issues

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
growler1947

Post by growler1947 »

I have a 2016 V6 S model that has developed coolant issues. Any length of run brings up the coolant level warning light and the coolant level drops to the bottom of the reservoir tank. I have had it checked by a Jaguar garage (which they tell me included a pressure test) and there was no obvious problem. I am bemused and reluctant to use the car until the problem is resolved.

Does anyone know of a reliable independent Jaguar technician/company in the Redhill, Surrey area?

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Read some positive reviews of these guys

https://surreyjagcentre.co.uk/

Or there's Tom Lenthall, who many people always recommend, about an hour away from Redhill.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I’d be more than bemused with a comment like that, that no doubt didn’t come cheap either.
If you can get it to Tom you can be confident he will identify the root cause and be able to resolve it - including the claim if it is under the Jag warranty.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

if it helps I had the water pump replaced on my old v6 it was weeping from the seal, i had no clue until the coolant light came on
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Water pump, Y pipe under charge cooler, corrosion in one of the 3 pack radiators, faulty coolant tank, it could be plenty of things, that’s the problem, and needs a competent technician to check it out.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Jaguar customer services and Jaguar after sales really need to step up their game. The brand wants to move into some £100k luxury electric only market but seems to struggle with the basics, items like this, terrible booking lines, poor communication and lack of dealer support from head office.

Anyway, hope you get it fixed and post back the resolution as no doubt others will have the same issue at some point.

The only other post I can find is someone who over heated due to a failed cooling pack which I presume is thermostat and fan on main radiator but that wouldn't explain the loss of coolant.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

I lost coolant, noticed before warning came on. Changed Y pipe which I suspect was seeping at the seam when driven hard.
Fitted new coolant cap as well. Not done many miles since. Was SORN, now after a good run at weekend, sign of coolant at reservoir seam. This may be just excess coolant. Hope so as off to the IOM next week.

50CD610B-F883-4F81-A3DD-2350D5B46596.jpeg

48719B98-A1A3-4C0B-9A42-59E55B36E9F0.jpeg

growler1947

Post by growler1947 »

Many thanks for all the responses so far. I'm trying to contact James Rawlinson in Horley. Does anyone have experience of him?

Another strange thing about my problem is that the temperature gauge is totally normal despite the low coolant level warning.

I've had this car for 2 years now and love driving it. However, I am also plagued with the constant low battery warning despite having replaced the battery a year ago.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should trade it in for something else.

20230507_121225.jpg

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

There's probably still enough coolant in the system to keep the temperature on a normal level then. In the XF I had prior to the F-Type I had the same engine and suffered the usual coolant system issues - several parts like the Y pipe cracked on different occasions and the water pump also went. I got low coolant warnings but it never got far enough to affect the temperature so I never got any temperature warning.

Battery issues are common but seemingly often easy to solve. The first port of call is to check if the car shuts down properly by looking at if the warning triangle goes out completely a while after locking the car. If not, someone didn't close things down properly after using the OBD port and a battery disconnect usually helps.

Another thing which apparently makes a difference is double locking vs single locking. I've always only single locked all my Jaguars but started getting inexplicable low battery warnings in the F-Type. Since I started double locking it I never had that issue again.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ah you didn’t mention battery issues.
Not sure on your age car but was the battery coded in when it was replaced?
Does the hazard warning triangle go out 10 mins after locking the car?
Is the boot well dry?
Do you have an electrical connection box in the front RH wheel arch?
Again, this all points to getting someone with good knowledge to check it out.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post