Battery problem

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Dsb123

Post by Dsb123 »

Hi all,
Hope you can help. I have had my type R for a fe2 years now and always store it for the winter months. After the first year storage , with a battery maintenance charger connected to the battery when I wanted to use the car the car would not start so I had the problem of getting into the boot and removing the battery which I r3placed with a brand new battery. I had the trickle charger attached to the Barrera all winter and have just gone to start the car this morning and low and behold it would not start. Manag3d to open the door but the centre console said low battery start car. Th3 car would not start so I connected the battery charger to the front contacts and managed to get the boot to open. I have disconnect3d the trickle charger from the battery and the battery is now on charge. Why won’t the trickle cha4ger keep the battery maintained during the winter? Do I need to buy other battery this year?

Regards

Denis

scm

Post by scm »

The maintainer should be capable of keeping the battery topped up during storage so it's a worry why yours couldn't. How old is your battery? 4 years seems to be a reasonable life span these days, although mine seems to be still going strong after 6 years.

Oh, and don't shut the boot if the battery is disconnected! ;).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Conditioner isn't normally connected directly to the battery on these cars, due to the battery management software.

Common issue is when a code reader has been used on the OBD port and not disconnected properly. But as disconnecting the battery leads (or fitting a new battery) resets the session, it doesn't seem like your problem.

Could be something not shutting down and draining the battery. Video here explains a example of a problem and diagnosis
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Dsb123

Post by Dsb123 »

Scm - as I said I bought a. Brand new battery last year due to this happening last year.
Mickjaguar - where are you supposed to connect the battery maintenance unit if not directly to the battery?
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

The posts in the link below shows images for connections depending on model year. Generally to an earth stud on the body and using the busbar.

Although I doubt this has anything to do with the battery drain.

viewtopic.php?t=4379&start=30
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

My trickle charger has two settings, normal and canbus. On the Jag I connect to the front positive pole and clip the negative to a wheel nut. Using the normal setting, not canbus. Worked for me for the last few winters when not used for a few weeks. 2015 car on the original battery.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

Jaguandy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:25 pmOn the Jag I connect to the front positive pole and clip the negative to a wheel nut.
You know there's a stud provided near the positive terminal for the earth point? Your handbook should show you.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

take the battery back sounds defective?
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

scm wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:18 am
Jaguandy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:25 pmOn the Jag I connect to the front positive pole and clip the negative to a wheel nut.
You know there's a stud provided near the positive terminal for the earth point? Your handbook should show you.
Yes, thanks, I know. But my charger has big croc clips that won't fit to the front terminals and let me close the whole thing safely. I have one lead from a multimeter that has a tiny croc clip that I add to clip to the pos.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

Jaguandy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:31 pm
scm wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:18 am
Yes, thanks, I know. But my charger has big croc clips that won't fit to the front terminals and let me close the whole thing safely. I have one lead from a multimeter that has a tiny croc clip that I add to clip to the pos.
Ah, you didn't explain that in your post. :lol:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post