Failed injectors - 2017 F-Type

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

So on Easter weekend was out driving in my R-Dynamic (P340) when engine management light came on.

Long story short, an injector failed, causing a failure in the adjacent one.
Ended up being seized so were very difficult to remove.
I was lucky that the garage had the tools to remove but did warn me it could have been cylinder head replacements, worst case scenario!

Have only just got the car back working again after a costly repair etc

Based on some fairly quick internet searches, I gather this is a bit of a common problem with this age of F-Type? (December 2017).

Has anyone approached Jaguar regarding this failure as I feel something like this shouldn't be happening on a 5 year old car?

Apologies if this isn't really a technical question, more of a gathering of information.

scm

Post by scm »

Is yours RWD or AWD?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

It's RWD.
jonm

Post by jonm »

It's not really a jaguar specific issue, It a common problem with direct injection engines, the injectors are under extreme stress and pressure.
Consider using premium petrol, and ethanol free if you can get it, it may reduce the chances of failure.
What is specific to our cars is the design of the air vents on the bonnet allows water to get onto the cylinder head causing corrosion so that when the injectors do fail their difficult to remove, but the water ingress is not the cause of the injector failing.
My16 F-Type V6 340
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

@jonm Thanks for your reply.
I do use premium more often than not and will endeavour to continue with that from now on.

I guess it's something we just have to live with then.

Do you know what the chances are of the other bank failing once one side has failed or is that a bit difficult to quantify?
jonm

Post by jonm »

Whats your mileage
My16 F-Type V6 340
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

Just over 45k.
jonm

Post by jonm »

Personally I would have changed them all, But I use my car for doing big european road trips, I would not like to break down 1000 miles from home so at the first sign of trouble i'm all over it. But if your always in the UK you can get recovered to your garage of choice so would not be worrying about it.
My16 F-Type V6 340
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

@jonm
Thanks for your time replying, appreciate it.
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi Biggus,
I have a 2014 R with 40k on it and dropped an injector late last year.
Phoned my local and trusted garage for servicing and they said almost certainly injector (fault code also says possible coil pack) and that they almost always stick in and they have to drill them out. Not happy with swarf going into the cylinder, I called another independent Jag garage and they said, if 1's gone, best to change all 4 on that side, due to pressure impact on other injectors. Not happy with that as I'm sure there's a pressure limiter somewhere for too high, too low wouldn't cause damage and if you're going to do 4, why not 8 with the same logic.

Anyway, ended up at Tom Lethall who fixed the 1 injector (pulled out, not drilled, said it was up to me if I wanted to change 4 or 8 or just keep with the 1 replaced as failure on 1 does not impact performance of the others. I also asked about injector cleaner as it's not recommended by JLR, he said he would and does use it.

So conclusion is I only did the failed one and put through a tank full of premium with injector cleaner, lets see what happens in the future.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post