Rubbing noise from rear

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I've noticed recently a fairly faint rubbing noise that appears to be left rear. Rub rub rub at maybe three times the speed of wheel rotation is my guess. Only noticeable on quiet tarmac around 30-40 mph. It seems worse when cold, and seems worse on right hand bends. I expect it'll be hard to find out what is causing it, but wonder if anyone on here has a clue. Rear diff was replaced a year or so ago, if that matters.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

scm

Post by scm »

Brake pad?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

scm wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:34 amBrake pad?
Agree....brake pad would be my first thought
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

It's not a continuous rubbing noise, but rub rub rub roughly three times per wheel rev. Wouldn't brake pad usually be a continuous noise? Thanks for the suggestions so far.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

Not if it's rust on disc edge, part way around.
This would only catch at certain point.

Jack car up....spin the wheel..
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Jaguandy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:14 am It's not a continuous rubbing noise, but rub rub rub roughly three times per wheel rev. Wouldn't brake pad usually be a continuous noise? Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Same if it is multiple pad deposits on the disc you'll get multiple high spots.
I'd do the standard disc clean routine of quiet road at 60 brake hard to near zero, but not stop, repeat 2 more times (3 cycles) then drive to cool the discs.
If it still does it get a dial gauge on the discs to check they are not out of true. Both next to zero costs as opposed to someone just suggesting new disks and pads.
If no joy only then start to worry about other things like the diff.

As an aside a deep vibration in my former Evoque that sounded like rear diff. or a driveshaft turned out to be a warped disc with 4 high spots. Rare so I was sceptical but replaced and all was well.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

Is there much of a lip around disc edge.
My previous M3 was terrible. Rust appeared only after a few days sitting idle, more like a crust around outer disc edge where pad doesn't touch....maybe something as simple as that.

If my wheels are off on any car, I normally use a small ballpin hammer and tap around edge of disc ....depending on quality of discs/car, the scale just flakes off.
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

The sound isn't consistent with it but the fact it gets worse when turning right would be symptomatic of a wheel bearing - greater load on the left of the car round the corner will make the noise of a bad bearing louder.

As others have said, jack the car up (with chocks!) and spin the wheel to see if you can replicate it. That will probably reveal the issue.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I've had rumbling noises on cars where potholes have turned the inner rim into a 50p piece! Also a tyre where the tread had become mis-shapen. This was hard to spot until the wheel was off the car and when rolled along it wobbled slightly side to side. Swap the wheels side to side to begin with and see if the noise moves.
Last edited by mickjaguar on Tue May 23, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
JekVI

Post by JekVI »

My first thought would be brake pads rubbing (with uneven wear), or maybe one of the guards behind the disc having something softer than a stone caught in it?

I had a rubbing noise from one rear wheel once and I believe it was one of the handbrake spot callipers (which I believe are only on ceramics) stuck partially on - stopped immediately, cycled the handbrake and hasn't happened since.
Ultra Blue MY19 SVR (but without particulate filters :twisted: )

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post