Trim removal advice wanted.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
GBH

Post by GBH »

Hi I am going to change the drip trim as some lowlife damaged it a while back.
Itried a repair but I am not happy with it.
Looks like they tried to prise the window with a bar bent the trim and broke the glass.
I have a good idea now what to do but I am unsure where the rear bolt that fixes it, comes inside the car.
To avoid stripping lots of bits I wondered if anyone had seen it while removing boot trim
Picture attached. Thanks.

T.jpg

66 MY 17 Blackberry F Type 340

Deleted User 3656

Post by Deleted User 3656 »

Hi I just had mine replaced but did look online and there was a u tube about wrapping the f type trim and will show how done dont know if of if of any help my old one is for sale it is silver but could be sprayed it is in the for sale area the new ones at a silly price ?

this is the link
GBH

Post by GBH »

Hi. Thanks. I have the trim ordered and on the way I was lucky to get a gloss black one a lot cheaper than the dealers. :)
Stu67

Post by Stu67 »

In the same position as you (Nearside "Delaminating" in the corner, tried 3M double sided tape, but only lasted for a couple of months.

Had a look earlier today to see what is involved, I "Think" you should be able to get to the stud and nut via an opening between the rear quarter headlining and the hard plastic parts of the parcel shelf sides (You'll have to remove the leather/vinyl trimmed part (Removes easily) - you'll need a long 1/4" extension and a wobble joint and a 10mm AF deep socket, looks fiddly but doable.

The other option is to remove the whole side trim and carpet (The carpet and hard plastic part appear to be bonded) but that looks likely to break a load of clips.

Let us know how you get on when you do it, if I beat you to it I'll post some photos and a description as part of this thread .

Stu.
GBH

Post by GBH »

Hi I got in the boot and looked through the grill and can see it.
I do have a long reach socket but the bolt is just that bit too long for the socket to fit the nut.
I have ordered hopefully some longer sockets otherwise I will remove the trim I have a PDF from on here how to do it.
Plus this video will get me the rest of the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ-P8Xjyh24
Jaguar F-TYPE Coupe - Loadspace Trim Panel Removal.pdf
(268.37 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Stu67

Post by Stu67 »

For those who are interested, I did this at the weekend.

Pretty straightforward, I had to remove the boot trim to undo the nut on the M6 stud (FYI long reach 1/4" sockets are not long enough, had to use a 10mm box spanner. Take a couple of photos of how the 1/4 window seals fit for ref before removal, and the position of the shims ( If fitted) under the 1st screw, closest the door aperture.

PXL_20230702_124305580.jpg

PXL_20230702_124313176.jpg

PXL_20230702_124324912.jpg

PXL_20230702_124330239.jpg

GBH

Post by GBH »

Hi That helps as I have not started mine yet. Is the rubber seal in the chrome trim easy to put back. ?
Stu67

Post by Stu67 »

Hi,

Yeah, it's simple enough, just make sure the location tabs that are molded into the seal line up with the cutouts in the lower section of the 1/4 window apetute - Although it's obvious if you haven't got it lined up correctly.

Stu.
GBH

Post by GBH »

Hi all stripped and ready to go tomorrow. I have a couple more questions do I need to remove this trim near the airbag.

IMG_0368.JPG

On the video the guy pops a clip on the outer trim, did you come across this. Thanks for your help.
I was going to use PM but I thought our conversation might help other people at some tome.

IMG_0367.JPG

Stu67

Post by Stu67 »

Hi,
No need to remove the trim part covering the airbag, just the small semi circular rubberised trim part covering the glass lateral jacking screw and the DAB aerial connection. There are 2 small clips that locate the window trim, one shown in the video just above the B post, and one at the very front (Behind the mirror) - They are both small. And unclip with minimum effort ( I left the TX screws in and loose thinking I was going to struggle to get them to unclip, and didn't want the window trim "Swinging" around damaging paint - really not necessary)

Good Luck

Stu

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post