UAD Carplay/Android Auto Installed

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

So just a quick update rather than hijacking someone else's thread...

I installed the UAD Carplay/Android Auto module for my F Type today. Thankfully I have the Harmon version so it was an absolute doddle. I can understand why someone would be a bit put off with the Bosch system where you need to remove all the trim and screen etc, but if yours is like this it's an almost nothing job. I think the physical install took me all of 30 minutes from opening the box, and then the setup another 15.

I will say the instructions are a bit poor though. Thankfully youtube filled in the gaps but the big four things that the instructions fail to mention...

1. The big connector you have to remove has a gate over the top of it. The system comes with the same type of plug so you'll see what I mean. To remove it you need to lift and pull. Once you have the gate pulled back the plug should just pull out. When installing the new one in, make sure you get a nice positive click and the gate in the same position the original one was in. It takes more force than you might think.
2. That little pink connector you need to remove, it has a tab on the underside you need to push in. It's the same type that you will be replacing it with so have a look at the one that comes with the UAD unit to get an idea of what you need to do to remove it. A lot of people get stuck here for a while (the video I saw said it took him 30 minutes), but thankfully I managed to get mine out fairly easily... albeit with only a little bit of damage to end of my finger... :lol:
3. There is a little weird dummy aux plug in the box. You need to insert this into the aux port in your arm rest to get the sound to work. O, and of course you need to set the media source in the car to aux as well. Took me a while to figure that out as I didn't even notice the damn thing in the box.
4. You'll need to adjust the sound sliders in the UAD units settings (not carplay or android auto). I find that when making a call I would have to turn the volume up a lot to hear the person on the other end. This isn't a problem until you switch back to spotify and then have your ears blown off. I adjusted the android auto sound slider to 5 and it cured the problem... but I suspect if I switch back to the cars own audio system it very well may also blow my ears off. Probably a good thing that I NEVER listen to the radio.

Other than that it pretty straight forward and self explanatory.

The system seems to work as expected and I'm very happy overall. The negatives are well documented but I'll just remind people of them...

1. The mic quality isn't the best. I did a couple of test phone calls and my partner could hear me but said it sounded like I was far away. I may look to replace this if it becomes a problem.
2. The reverse camera flicks on and off if you are in the UAD unit's menu or carplay/android auto. This is a known issue and apparently the way around it is to splice into the reverse light cable or something to that effect. I don't really feel confident doing that so as much as it is an annoyance, I think I'll just leave it. It works fine if you just go back to the cars own infotainment system by holding the home button. It would potentially be annoying if it were a daily, but as it's not for me I can probably learn to live with it.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire

mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

one thing I've learned after a few days of using it, It didn't enter my head that using google maps would be using the data on my phone, so i rapidly ran out of data as I'm a tightwad on my data plan.

I've since learned you can download the google maps data to your phone so it only needs data for traffic information etc

So my phone is busy downloading the UK mapping
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

mono-uk wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:24 pm one thing I've learned after a few days of using it, It didn't enter my head that using google maps would be using the data on my phone, so i rapidly ran out of data as I'm a tightwad on my data plan.

I've since learned you can download the google maps data to your phone so it only needs data for traffic information etc

So my phone is busy downloading the UK mapping
Good note for everyone.

Thankfully my data plan is pretty extensive.
I've been using it non-stop in my iX3 for work. I pretty much use google maps via my data plan every Mon-Fri (and some weekend days) for what I'm guessing is on average 2-3 hours a day. Over the past 3 months I've used on average 1GB a month via google maps so not that bad really.
tross

Post by tross »

Installed one of these myself last year. If you haven't already it's worth checking your firmware is the latest version; mine wasn't and once updated it worked much better (mainly with regards connection using wireless Android Auto)
Deleted User 3656

Post by Deleted User 3656 »

I fitted one a couple of mts ago felt the same about wiring the reversing camera but was not to bad of a job there was info on this and other sites just tapped into the middle black wire on the reversing light on the rear valance hardest job was running the wire just took a bit of planning
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

tross wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:34 pm Installed one of these myself last year. If you haven't already it's worth checking your firmware is the latest version; mine wasn't and once updated it worked much better (mainly with regards connection using wireless Android Auto)
Haven't checked for any updates but so far no issues with connection.

After using it for a few weeks and some heavier use during some recent time off from work, I think the main negative for me is the fact that you can't individually change the sound of the sat nav vs the music/phone calls. I've found a relatively happy medium where the google maps doesn't blow my eardrums out, but I can still listen to music and make calls, but it means the calls tend to be a bit on the quiet side. I'm also having to do a fair bit of shouting on calls so I think I need to upgrade and/or re-position the mic. Overall it's still a good upgrade over the existing Jag system.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Adrian1961 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:36 am I fitted one a couple of mts ago felt the same about wiring the reversing camera but was not to bad of a job there was info on this and other sites just tapped into the middle black wire on the reversing light on the rear valance hardest job was running the wire just took a bit of planning
I may get to it at some point but I'm not overly fussed at the moment. If it was a daily I'd be on it straight away but it's a weekend/fun times car so it doesn't get reversed much and when it does, the long press of the home button isn't that big a pain.
Maybe I'll change my mind later though.
Chris - SWE

Post by Chris - SWE »

stefan9107 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:19 pm
tross wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:34 pm Installed one of these myself last year. If you haven't already it's worth checking your firmware is the latest version; mine wasn't and once updated it worked much better (mainly with regards connection using wireless Android Auto)

After using it for a few weeks and some heavier use during some recent time off from work, I think the main negative for me is the fact that you can't individually change the sound of the sat nav vs the music/phone calls. I've found a relatively happy medium where the google maps doesn't blow my eardrums out, but I can still listen to music and make calls, but it means the calls tend to be a bit on the quiet side. I'm also having to do a fair bit of shouting on calls so I think I need to upgrade and/or re-position the mic. Overall it's still a good upgrade over the existing Jag system.
If you exit Carplay/Android Auto back to the UAD interface you can tweak the volume for things like voice and music.
Made a huge difference to me.

I do have a firmware update on hand from last summer but unsure what version, next time am in the car il check.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Chris - SWE wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:23 pm

If you exit Carplay/Android Auto back to the UAD interface you can tweak the volume for things like voice and music.
Made a huge difference to me.

I do have a firmware update on hand from last summer but unsure what version, next time am in the car il check.
I would need to look again to be sure but I think for android auto there was only one master volume and for carplay you had more options... might be wrong though as haven't been in that menu again since day 1.
Chris - SWE

Post by Chris - SWE »

I would need to look again to be sure but I think for android auto there was only one master volume and for carplay you had more options... might be wrong though as haven't been in that menu again since day 1.
You are correct sir, my bad.

1.jpg

And if anyone is interested, this is my software version.

2.jpg

Drop me a pm with your email if you like it but please be aware it´s ONLY for the "Harman" system.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post