Key will not work after battery replacement.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

Sorry to hijack theh thread :), but I took the working battery from fob #1 and tested it in fob #2 - no joy and key #2 still doesn't work. I read about holding it to the bottom right of the steering wheel (UK) and clicking unlock, to get it to re-link (?) with the car, but to no avail.

Any other top tips I could try?
| MY15 | V6S Coupe | RWD | Italian Racing Red | Perf. Seats & Wheel | Pano Roof |

Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

Have an auto-electrician coming over next week who thinks he can sort it out for £48 - worth a punt I think considering the £180 Shrewsbury Jaguar want just to run a diagnostic on the key.
| MY15 | V6S Coupe | RWD | Italian Racing Red | Perf. Seats & Wheel | Pano Roof |
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Good luck! Hope you get it sorted. Let us know how he gets on.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

Hey guys,

After your advice with my faulty second key.

I had an auto-electrician out yesterday who has told me my second key it completely dead - not getting any RF (I think it was) feedback. He's now told me he can source a new key for me and reprogram it for £280, which seems fair. However, I also called Shrewsbury Jaguar who initially want £180 off of me to run a diagnostic on the faulty key (which I presume is the same as what the auto-electrician's done), so asked them what the cost was if I went straight for a replacement key. They advised;

- £246 for a replacement key
- £218 to reprogram the new key and the old key as the KVM (keyless vehicle module, same as Remote Function Actuator (RFA)?) will need to be replaced. I thought my 2014 plate was before this was put in place, but I'm probably getting confused.
- Labour

£955 total cost for the replacement key, and replacement KVM. Does that sound about right?

My car VIN ends 15738, which makes me think the auto-electrician route is a dead end, given the below from a previous, historic topic.
SSM73234 Smart Key Replacement and Consequential Replacement of Remote Function
F-TYPE / X152

Issue: Vehicles requiring new or replacement smart keys due to additional keys required, or key remote loss will require a new Remote Function Actuator (RFA)

Cause: After 30th March 2015 all of the above vehicle lines have a software update applied to the ‘Start Authorisation System’ at PDI, which makes their RFA ‘read only’. After this point, should a customer require additional smart key(s) (due to loss etc.), the RFA will require replacement. As previously, the customer will still be liable for the key fob, cutting of the mechanical key blade, and programming of the RFA, but not the cost of the new RFA itself. This SSM refers to Field Service Action K285v3 therefore exists to cover the cost of procurement and fitting of a new RFA to ensure that customers are not disadvantaged by this product enhancement."
Thanks.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

As far as I am aware, cars 8870 and later do not allow new keys to be coded without changing the module as well.

The keys are locked to the car during the PDI process so check yours has a PDI recorded at https://OSH.jaguar.com

The list price is £738 so anything sub £1k would be about right.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

simpleR wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:49 am As far as I am aware, cars 8870 and later do not allow new keys to be coded without changing the module as well.

The keys are locked to the car during the PDI process so check yours has a PDI recorded at https://OSH.jaguar.com

The list price is £738 so anything sub £1k would be about right.
Thanks, simpleR. It did have a PDI @ 1 mile.

I am now wondering if it's worth having JLR run the diag - if the auto-electrician told me the keys not omitting anything to the reader - otherwise it's £180 for them to tell me it's dead and £955 for the new key - unless they have more diag kit.....

I think it may be, JUST in case they can save the key......!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Whenever I have had any issues I have always spoken to the after sales manager and they book a free vehicle health check which basically gives you the diagnostics for free.

IE when I had an annoying squeak underneath they wanted the diagnostics fee but the service manager booked me for a free health check and they found a loose heat shield and fixed it there and then for free!

Worth a try
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

simpleR wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:21 pm Whenever I have had any issues I have always spoken to the after sales manager and they book a free vehicle health check which basically gives you the diagnostics for free.

IE when I had an annoying squeak underneath they wanted the diagnostics fee but the service manager booked me for a free health check and they found a loose heat shield and fixed it there and then for free!

Worth a try
Would that be from the garage/dealer you purchased your car from though, simpleR?
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My car was from Southampton 6yrs ago but always go to Jaguar Derby for servicing. Maybe the long term relationship helps but worth a try. You should be able to book a free health check by calling them and then advise you have a concern with the second key intermittently not working for example.
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

simpleR wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:29 pm My car was from Southampton 6yrs ago but always go to Jaguar Derby for servicing. Maybe the long term relationship helps but worth a try. You should be able to book a free health check by calling them and then advise you have a concern with the second key intermittently not working for example.
Deffo worth a try - thanks.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post