Key will not work after battery replacement.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Cereal

Post by Cereal »

Hi,

I have tried searching the forums for a solution but I have not managed to find an answer. I am hoping someone here is able to help.

Today I replaced the battery on MY17 v6 base as I kept getting low battery warning and at the weekend I ended up having to jump start the car. After replacing the battery none of the keys buttons will work and the car will only start if I place the key in the little indent under the steering wheel. I did check before changing the battery if anything needed to be reprogrammed afterwards, but the only thing I could find was the windows might need resetting.

Does anyone know why the car has forgotten the keys and what I need to do to fix the issue?

scm

Post by scm »

Is the new battery fully charged? Off the shelf they often aren't. But I've never heard of the fobs needing to be reprogrammed after a battery replacement. Check the voltage of the fob batteries, just to eliminate that as a source of the issue.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cereal

Post by Cereal »

Thanks for the quick reply! I did change the batteries in one of the fobs just to be sure, but it didn't fix the issue.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

There’s not a thin plastic film still on the fob battery is there?
If it works when placed against the special place then it seems to be fob related.
Try putting the fob against your head (honestly) to boost the signal range - best demonstrated in a car park just out of normal range.
As mentioned above, check the new fob battery is not duff and that it’s the correct way around.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Make sure you’re using good quality batteries in the fob. Cheap eBay ones don’t work well. Panasonic work well as do Duracell.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Cereal

Post by Cereal »

So to be 100 % sure I have been out and brought two cr2032 batteries and made sure there is no plastic on them and replaced them in both the key fobs. Still the car is having the same issue. I have noticed the connector on the IBS looks like it might be damaged. Is there any chance that could be the issue?
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

What’s the IBS?

My second fob doesn’t work either atm so I’ll try a new, branded battery and report back 👍.
| MY15 | V6S Coupe | RWD | Italian Racing Red | Perf. Seats & Wheel | Pano Roof |
Cereal

Post by Cereal »

Eclipse83 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:05 pm What’s the IBS?
IBS stands for the Intelligent battery sensor. It is the part that is connected to the negative terminal. Although Jaguar might call it something else.
scm

Post by scm »

Eclipse83 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:05 pm My second fob doesn’t work either atm ...
Both fobs are always active (even if you shut them in a drawer for years!) so they're both likely to need battery replacement at the same time.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

scm wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:26 am
Eclipse83 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:05 pm My second fob doesn’t work either atm ...
Both fobs are always active (even if you shut them in a drawer for years!) so they're both likely to need battery replacement at the same time.
New battery will turn up today so shall test! 👍
| MY15 | V6S Coupe | RWD | Italian Racing Red | Perf. Seats & Wheel | Pano Roof |

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post