Wheel refurb

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
gsxrm3

Post by gsxrm3 »

Has anyone had a singular carbon bladed wheel refurbished ? I just caught the very lip of the diamond cut edge, the smallest of nicks and my local agent said the complete wheel will have to be refurbed and that they counldnt match the satin grey to the rest of the wheels.
V6S coupe in white, carbon bladed wheels, performance seats finished in red nappa, sports design pack, flat bottom steering wheel, powered tailgate, reverse camera, meridian upgrade.

Webarno

Post by Webarno »

I'd be interested to know this as well.

Have the exact same wheels and two of them could do with being refurbed due to the diamond cut rim being scuffed.
MY15 V6 S Coupe Stratus Grey
Essex
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I just caught the edge of one of my diamond cut alloys and was told they would only do a complete refurb (and might not be able to match the grey). I watched a few YouTube videos, took my time and did it myself. Surprised how good it turned out, almost invisible. Masked off all but the damaged area of the rim, a little bit of dry sanding then progressively finer wet and dry (with plenty of water). Then used a polishing wheel on a drill. Mask and spray lacquer then polished the edge of the lacquer in once dry.

Give it a go, the worst that will happen is that you have to get someone else to refurb it if you’re not happy, which you are planning on anyway! (And no colour match issues)
MArtyn Veg

Post by MArtyn Veg »

When I purchased mine last year I’d agreed with Sytner that the rear wheels would be completely refurbished. When I collected her they told me that they had indeed refurbished all four wheels because the new rear pairs grey paint would not match the front pair.
MY21 First Edition 5.0 V8 P450 AWD Coupe, Eiger Grey Metallic
Previous MY18 R Dynamic 3.0 V6 Coupe, Santorini Black, 20” Carbon Blades
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Depends how scuffed it is. I've done the wet and dry sanding process on both our XE and Abarth reasonably successfully. Although, you need to get right down and close up for it to be obvious. I used Autosol metal polish for the final finishing pass before lacquering.

The damage on my Abarth was a bit heavier and I think a file was needed to flatten it sufficiently. Didn't spend much time on it, so it could be better, but again you have to get down and look.

IMG_20230710_174256.jpg

2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
gsxrm3

Post by gsxrm3 »

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of a DIY as I had previously done such a repair on my M3 wheels with a wet sand and metal polish because if a diamond cut is carried out, the whole wheel has to be refurbed.
V6S coupe in white, carbon bladed wheels, performance seats finished in red nappa, sports design pack, flat bottom steering wheel, powered tailgate, reverse camera, meridian upgrade.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post