Exhaust valves not stuck, is it the ECM or the vacuum pump?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
FtypeRpower

Post by FtypeRpower »

Hi everyone!

My ftype R from 2014 has exhaust flaps always open. I have searched the forums (and others) extensively but I dont find a match with mine, heres what I have:

-Flaps always open
-Lubricated them, all good, can open them by hand, no problem.
-checked fuse 15 and 43
-opened up the wheel well and made some pics. All vacuum lines seem connected, nothing hanging loose.

Heres where I get stuck. Dont know how to check the function of the vacuum pump and the ecm (if it gives a signal at all…)
Is there a tool to read/check the ecm?

Its good that the valves are open, but I’d like them to function as supposed

Thanks for any help

IMG_1074.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

jonm

Post by jonm »

You should be able to hear that pump running when you switch on the Ignition to position 2 (press start button without foot on brake)
If pump does not run could be relay or pump, check for voltage on feed into pump to confirm.
If pump runs continueously without stoping you've got a vacuum leak somewhere or the pump itself is leaking.
If pump working correctly the solenoid valve on the back of the bracket is probably faulty.
My16 F-Type V6 340
FtypeRpower

Post by FtypeRpower »

jonm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:48 am You should be able to hear that pump running when you switch on the Ignition to position 2 (press start button without foot on brake)
If pump does not run could be relay or pump, check for voltage on feed into pump to confirm.
If pump runs continueously without stoping you've got a vacuum leak somewhere or the pump itself is leaking.
If pump working correctly the solenoid valve on the back of the bracket is probably faulty.

Thanks a lot! Will check, where do I find the relay? Could be smart to check that when I’m in there
jonm

Post by jonm »

It will be in one of the fuse boxes, probably under the passenger foot well. I think its unlikely to be a relay, they don't usually fail.
My16 F-Type V6 340
FtypeRpower

Post by FtypeRpower »

jonm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:50 am It will be in one of the fuse boxes, probably under the passenger foot well. I think its unlikely to be a relay, they don't usually fail.
I tried to put the power on and listen, but assuming it takes longer than 2 seconds and I should be able to hear it with the wheelliner back in place, it is not pumping, dead silent.

Am I saying something stupid here, I found that it is relatively easy to take the pump out of the system and attach the lines to the engine vacuum. If I do this, I eliminate the pump, I understand it wont necessarily solve the problem, but going to take it out anyway as it is prone to fail, so I’ve read.
I think chances are not too bad that it is indeed the pump…
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

"You should be able to hear that pump running when you switch on the Ignition to position 2"....That's interesting... if there's vacuum present before firing up the engine could the start-up exhaust noise be reduced if one waits on ignition 2 before starting the engine? Or are the valves only told to close when the engine fires? Mine is loud on start-up either way but maybe an update for those who keep annoying early morning neighbours?
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

My 2015 V6 s has had the pump and reservoir deleted. There is a Jaguar TSB about what and how to do it. Involves a pipe, a tee piece and a bit of tape if I remember correctly.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
FtypeRpower

Post by FtypeRpower »

Jaguandy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:55 pm "You should be able to hear that pump running when you switch on the Ignition to position 2"....That's interesting... if there's vacuum present before firing up the engine could the start-up exhaust noise be reduced if one waits on ignition 2 before starting the engine? Or are the valves only told to close when the engine fires? Mine is loud on start-up either way but maybe an update for those who keep annoying early morning neighbours?

The vacuum will be present, but the ecm will still send the signal when to open and close the valve, on start up it will always be open
FtypeRpower

Post by FtypeRpower »

GARETH wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:30 pm My 2015 V6 s has had the pump and reservoir deleted. There is a Jaguar TSB about what and how to do it. Involves a pipe, a tee piece and a bit of tape if I remember correctly.
I found the tsb and it involves my chassisnr. Ordered the parts and will do the pump/reservoir delete and report back if it solves the problem.
If not I’ll look at the solenoid
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

FtypeRpower wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:38 pm
Jaguandy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:55 pm "You should be able to hear that pump running when you switch on the Ignition to position 2"....That's interesting... if there's vacuum present before firing up the engine could the start-up exhaust noise be reduced if one waits on ignition 2 before starting the engine? Or are the valves only told to close when the engine fires? Mine is loud on start-up either way but maybe an update for those who keep annoying early morning neighbours?

The vacuum will be present, but the ecm will still send the signal when to open and close the valve, on start up it will always be open
Thanks for the insight.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post