Parcel Shelf Rattle

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

So I know the parcel shelf falling off is well documented and I've already applied the rubber grommet fix to stop it happening, but has anyone else had much experience with the parcel shelf making excessive noise? I think the shelf bouncing up and down it making a very irritating and quite loud creaking/rattling noise and I did confirm it was the shelf by removing it for onedrive. I got a buddy to ride shotgun and watch it as we drove and he said he can see it bouncing up and down and loading/unloading as we go over bumps.

Any known fixes for it like shorter string to create a bit of tension etc?
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

My rattle turned out to be the heat shield underneath. But I first did the parcel shelf to rule it out, using some grommets. I also wrapped the pegs in self amalgamating tape. That makes it a tighter grip onto the pegs but it opens and closes fine.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

mickjaguar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:10 pm My rattle turned out to be the heat shield underneath. But I first did the parcel shelf to rule it out, using some grommets. I also wrapped the pegs in self amalgamating tape. That makes it a tighter grip onto the pegs but it opens and closes fine.
Ooo that's not a bad idea. I think I have some tape lying around so may give that one a go and see if it helps.
I think it might be the weight of the parcel shelf causing the two sides of the rear interior trim to shift and creek though. So where the weight of the shelf sits on the pins I think the shelf bumping up and down flexes the two sides. Not 100% sure but as said, as soon as I removed the shelf the noise disappeared.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
munchie

Post by munchie »

I used soundproofing felt on the areas where the parcel shelf lies onto the interior trim in the boot. It stopped the rattles immediately.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post