Stage 1 tuning - F-Type V8 R

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Cubadre

Post by Cubadre »

Hello,

Does anyone here have an experience with the Stage 1 tuning of the V8 R?

I am planning a road trip to Switzerland via Germany and want to remove the speed limiter to enjoy the Autobahns.

Most of the companies I've rang offer delimiting as a part of the stage 1 remapping.

I am not sure if I really want more power, as the car is already mental:)

So the question is, is it really worth sending £700 for the Stage 1 remapping? And if it is, is the difference noticeable?

And if the answer to both question is YES, where do I take it for the remap!?

A friend of mine took his C63 to DMS Automotive in Southampton to do stage 1 mapping and ended up very disappointed with the results. The graphs showed over 100HP gain but in real life, his rolling race is no different to what it was before (*he still beats the Jag sadly).

stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Not that it is anyway helpful to your question... but is 186mph not enough?
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I'm not sure what a stage 1 remap is, but I'd guess this is pretty much the SVR tune which takes it up to 575 ish After that you are doing pulleys to increase the supercharger boost to get to circa 620 then intake and then 200 cell cats etc........the list goes on. There are a fair number of people running these, with Velocity AP being the 'daddy' as far as numbers of vehicles and long term remap usage. (David Appleby Engineering, is the VAP UK distributor and ran the GT4 F type race series)

We had an interesting conversation with some dealer reps when at the Brooklands Jaguar centenary a couple of years ago. They explained that the Jaguar limiter isn't the same as that on many German cars, which simply prevent you exceeding the preset limit. On the F type R it will let you go through 186mph up to say 192mph, but then gradually reel you back down, but then allow you to go again.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

I wouldn’t bother going for a remap if you want to remove the speed limiter - I doubt the F-type R (or SVR) will ever have enough road to make 186mph not enough…
If you do go for a remap I think Velocity AP is where I’d go as Mick says.
I’ve now owned 4 cars with the 5.0 s/c V8 (two 510ps XFRs, plus my current 550ps F-Pace SVR and 575ps F-type SVR.
I’ve also driven a P450 F-type at a Jaguar track day event.
I had one of my XFRs tuned by Celtic tuning to take it from 510 to 550 (ish) - I could tell it had been tuned but certainly not night and day different.
The F-type feels slightly quicker than the F-Pace but not by much considering it is 300kg lighter and has 25hp more (ironically the F-Pace feels more impressively fast because it’s an SUV and not a sports car)
My conclusion?
They are all great and the differences are smaller than you might think so unless you are into drag racing it’s really not worth it
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

Has anyone done the test to see what an F-Type R would top out at, without a limiter? Must be close to 200mph.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

A stage 1 remap will get you to just over 600hp, i have map, both pulleys, intake and full supersprint exhaust with 200 cell cats and about 660hp.
Its quick, very quick.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Who did your map Timbo, VAP?
2017 R
South East Cornwall
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

I see "VAP Tune" in your bottom bit, disregard lol
2017 R
South East Cornwall
Ratboiler

Post by Ratboiler »

I had a VXR220 stage 2 tuned, followed by a stage 4, the company who did the tuning told me that all a stage 1 does is map out all the EU restrictions which makes the engine run more smoothly, so I went for a stage 2 and yes I did notice a big improvement, then hooked it's onto stage 4.
Remember whatever stage of tune you decide to go for, if you put your car into a main dealer and they have a map update outstanding, or need to do some engine work that map will over ride yours and you will have to get it done again. So remap and do not return to the main dealer, also your insurance company need to know so they can have their cut.
2021 R Portofino Blue, Convertible, Black interior, Sports seats.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post