Pads and Discs

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Had a bit of brake squeak in stop start traffic today that went as quickly as it came. It was toward the end of my journey and a few hours later on the way home there was nothing. There might of just been a bit of grit or something that worked its way in there but it got me wondering what the "expected" mileage is on the pads and discs? I know this will obviously be very dependant on how the car is driven, but what rough ballpark have most been getting? I would go out and check the pads but as per usual it is raining again :roll:

The car is a MY16 V8 R AWD so I'm guessing it has the 380mm fronts and 376mm rears?
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I have the 380 fronts and 376 rears on my 400 sport.

I had new rear pads at around 32k miles.
I am on 44k miles now and still on original discs and front pads (9mm left).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Hmm... im on about 31k miles and I'd say all of them look okay to me (assuming the inside is wearing at the same rate as the outside of course).

I need to try and get in there and take a measurement but just at a glance I'd say the fronts are about 7-8mm and the rears perhaps as much as 10mm (based on what I've seen with the rears wearing faster than the fronts I'd guess this is the 2nd set on the rear maybe).
The outside edge on the front looks a bit chipped but I don't think it should be an issue.

brakes.jpg

Kev

Post by Kev »

The rears shouldn't wear faster than the fronts on any car as the fronts tend to do most of the braking?
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
MANTOT3

Post by MANTOT3 »

Kev wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:52 pm The rears shouldn't wear faster than the fronts on any car as the fronts tend to do most of the braking?
Back in the Analog age this will be true.
However a digital feature of " Tourque Vectoring" on most F Types will see the use of the rear brakes to help cornering if you like the twisty bits at speed. Probably the main reason for the electric Diff, needed to adjust power and braking either side of the rear axle to help with understeer.
I managed over 50 K with my last F Type before a pad change, the rears to my surprise were wearing faster than the fronts.

20230812_150917.jpg

2016 SVR
Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
Homemade Barless front Grill.
And all the options on my wish list :twisted:
Previous: 2015 AWD R
Kev

Post by Kev »

Everyday is a school day. I tend to forget about things like that as braking and gear changing is done in a straight line, constant throttle through the bend until you can see the exit is clear then accelerate up to the speed limit. Roadcraft is a good book/download to have a read of and refresh yourself every few years

I'm still 'learning' to drive mine as I've only done a few hundred miles since picking it up as I tend to spend most of my day in a Transit Custom which requires a lot more [ahem]skill[/ahem] to control body roll etc., so have to put a different brain in when I go out in the Jaaaag

Anyway, getting back onto the subject, have you got performance pads in there as they can squeal at low speeds?
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Kev wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:07 pm Everyday is a school day. I tend to forget about things like that as braking and gear changing is done in a straight line, constant throttle through the bend until you can see the exit is clear then accelerate up to the speed limit. Roadcraft is a good book/download to have a read of and refresh yourself every few years

I'm still 'learning' to drive mine as I've only done a few hundred miles since picking it up as I tend to spend most of my day in a Transit Custom which requires a lot more [ahem]skill[/ahem] to control body roll etc., so have to put a different brain in when I go out in the Jaaaag

Anyway, getting back onto the subject, have you got performance pads in there as they can squeal at low speeds?
I have no idea what I have in there as I've only owned it for the last 700 miles :D . I suspect the fronts are whatever came as standard and the rears are anyone's guess.
As said, the squeel went away pretty quickly so I'll just keep an eye on it. It was more about just wondering at what rate the wear tends to take place on average.

One thing I do know is these things produce brake dust like no car I've ever owned before! :lol:
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

They certainly do - coming from an XE which has very low dust pads, it’s a real pita - especially if you have Turbine wheels or similar with 40 spokes to clean in total!

Changing my front discs tomorrow - a hefty 12.8kg each in Performance spec, and then a 27.2kg wheel to handle too. For the 4 corners it’s 164kg of unsprung weight, so around 10% of the total car weight.

I’d love a set of forged wheels and PB big brakes, but the standard set up actually do a good job for road use so it’s a lot to shell out just for the bling of it.

Pads are pretty new so will be de-glazed and re-used, as the discs are worn in thickness but very smooth with no grooving.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Squeaky breaks seems to be quite common with the F-Type, regardless of how worn they are. I have the "super high performance" 380/376 ones too and they sometimes squeak at very low speeds right before stopping. I get the impression that it mainly occurs when the car hasn't been washed for a while and things got a bit dusty down there.

And yes, the rear brakes do wear much faster than the front ones. It's not only the torque vectoring but also the ESP and IIRC the fact that the brakes usually are set up, at least in other Jags, to bite a bit harder in the back to prevent the front end from diving when breaking.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

I have to say my brakes have never squeaked, regardless of how long since I've used them (brakes just waste fuel!) or the car's been washed (I'd rather drive it than wash it!). Hope that doesn't jinx them! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post