Pads/Discs and rear cross member

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Pigsy

Post by Pigsy »

Hello,

Just a quick update on the V6 340 I bought in April.

I took out the Jag Service plan for 2 years and have since it had serviced at Inchcape Guildford.

No issues but noted that pads/discs worn. A quote was supplied for £1100 for the fronts.

As others have reported, I booked on the Jag website for fixed price 3+ years old cars and it was £620???

I have to say that it did go back to Inchcape and they did honour the booked cost in their defence. Although they did ask to take a screen shot of the Jag web price list.

They did mention that the parts alone were nearly that much so seemed very odd about how disjointed the dealers/manufacturer are?

On the good advice of this forum I also checked the rear x brace and cross member which showed some very surprising levels of corrosion (pictures attached).

Anyway, I took the car to Jamie at Jagdoctor and had this replaced with a change of diff oil for a very good price. I can thoroughly recommend Jamie who is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful and was more than happy to check other areas of the car and Lanoguard the rest of the car whilst it was on the ramp.

Adam

IMG_0922.jpeg

IMG_0920.jpeg

stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Out of interest, how many miles are on the car? Just interested to know whether its use that has resulted in corrosion that bad.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
ZeusHavok

Post by ZeusHavok »

Yeah that's weird. I have a 2016 MY17 V6S with 96k miles on it and the bracing is nowhere near as bad.
MY2017 F-Type S AWD Coupe - Firesand Orange / Optioned out to heck and back.
Pigsy

Post by Pigsy »

Hello,

I wished it was use. The car has done 26k but I believe it’s a well known fault.

Not great though!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Pigsy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:50 pm Hello,

I wished it was use. The car has done 26k but I believe it’s a well known fault.

Not great though!
It's well known issue but rarely this bad on a 5 year old car. Mine is more than double the age and mileage and very little corrosion, so I'd struggle to say 'normal'
I'm sure the care afforded by a previous owner who judging by the longitudinal stipes has grounded the car out dozens of time.

Nothing that can't be fixed with some TLC
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

Cars rot more easily when they're not used.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Pigsy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:50 pm Hello,

Not great though!
Sorry, didn't want to create any concern about the cars previous use or anything.

I recently picked up at MY16 car with 30k miles a couple months back and had concerns about the very same thing. I looked at it as best I could on the ground and negotiated the price down with a mind to getting it replaced. Once it was up on the ramp though it wasn't actually all that bad. It was basically just surface corrosion with the original paint coating flaking off so looked worse than I thought. So I was surprised to see yours in the condition it was. It could be based on where it's been used though. If it's spent a lot of time in areas with more rain or icy conditions where the roads get gritted more.

Sounds like you've got it all sorted now though so doesn't matter going forward.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
Pigsy

Post by Pigsy »

Thanks for the replies and no offence taken at all.

By the mileage and history which was all one dealership in the North it didn’t get much use at all for a year or 2 so that’s probably the reason for the corrosion . Everything else under the car is in great condition (not scraped or rubbed) so no other worries on that front and now it’s all replaced and treated looks as good as new!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post