2014 Wireless Wireless Android Auto/CarPlay Installation

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
leedsjag

Post by leedsjag »

I recently installed an aftermarket Android Auto/CarPlay in my 2014 R (with Bosch infotainment): -

finished.jpg

UAD seems to be the most popular ones but at >£500 not cheap. I came across a more cost effective unit at https://www.iceboxauto.com/ so took the plunge at half the price of the UAD unit. I have no affiliation with them, so just posting to give my view of an alternative in the market. They're a UK based importer, so in theory slightly more support than ordering direct from China.

I can't compare it to that UAD unit as I've never used one - but this seems pretty good.

I had some issues when i first fitted it in that it took a long time to boot. But they got me on a WhatsApp with the engineers in China and they sorted me with some newer firmware which fixed the issue and it's now fully running within 30 seconds of unlocking the car.

From what I've seen of the UAD install this is slightly neater - the aux-in is part of the main harness and no need for a 3.5mm jack.

I've been running it a few weeks and seems to work well. Slight inconvenience in that you can't listen to DAB as well as have audio from sat-nav, which I think is the same as the UAD unit because it would need an audio mixer to achieve this. I mainly listen to Spotify anyway, and if I want radio will just use TuneIn, BBC sounds etc.

Only other thing is I sometimes have to press the NAV button a couple of times to switch displays - again a minor inconvenience but not the end of the world.

Installation wasn't that difficult if you're comfortable taking dash trim apart, but being Bosch I did have to remove the screen etc.

This is the kit you get: -

1.jpg

They also included a rear-camera. I have factory reverse camera already, so I have mounted this on the front instead - just for fun.

You have to remove a few bits of trim to get to the screen: -

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And run wires to the main unit behind the armrest: -

5.jpg

The unit itself sits behind the carpet on the tunnel on the passenger side. There are some DIP switches which for my model and year of car are 1+5 on, rest off: -

6.jpg

7.jpg

And this is the top menu for access to settings, front camera etc. I think this menu looks different to the UAD so not sure which is "better" or "worse". Naming is slightly odd - WirelessDev, WireAuto etc:-

menu.jpg

Instructions as expected are non-existent so you have to figure out how buttons etc. work - but overall, for just over £250 quid I can't complain.
2014 RWD R Coupe in Polaris White

madnessgonemad

Post by madnessgonemad »

That looks very good. Do you find the sound quality good? That would be my main concern. Also, can you use the original screen or is it a complete replacement?Thanks
leedsjag

Post by leedsjag »

Audio quality is fine - within the limitations of the Meridian system. I'm not an audiophile though so can't tell you whether there's a gap between 4k and 5khz or it rolls off at whatnot. But to me it's fine considering I used to Bluetooth from phone. Certainly no hiss or noise to my ears.

Toggle from this to main system by holding NAV button for a couple of seconds, so you get all the other standards controls.

It takes over sat NAV though so you "lose" that (not a loss for me!)

Reverse cam is still automatic.

Also lose skip forward/back on the wheel controls - but touchscreen is fine for that.
2014 RWD R Coupe in Polaris White
madnessgonemad

Post by madnessgonemad »

Thanks for that.
I think that is very good value. I can’t find anything cheaper than that even on Ali Express.
And , as you say, a warranty from a British based firm.
Losing the nav doesn’t matter as you would obviously use Waze or Google maps!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post