V6 Brake light

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
markzeb

Post by markzeb »

I'm new to the forum and Jag ownership. I have a 2014 v6 which I am quite happy with. However, the passenger side brake light has stopped working but the rest of the cluster all appears in order. Having had a look through the manual and online this does not appear common and from what I've seen its a sealed unit. Is this a new cluster job or is there some other way of a simple repair. I'm not averse to getting a new cluster. I just wonder if there is an easier fix. Or even better is this a known issue re wiring or fuses that can just be replaced. I can normally find decent info these sort of faults but have struggled with this. Thanks.

scm

Post by scm »

Can't help but doubtless others will be along who can. Welcome to our club! :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing serviceable so I'd suggest a diy swap over to a used spare off ebay or contact the dealership for a new price to compare.
Looks like lots of LHS on Ebay for £200 - £225, but you'll just need to match part numbers or visuals to yours.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

Before you go ahead and purchase a new taillight make sure you test the wiring/harness for faults. I had a similar issue on another vehicle, but similar type of LED taillight fixture, part of the brake light was not illuminating and part of it was turning orange instead of red. I´ve swapped the rear lamps left to right for a test and the failure stayed on the same side, the lamp was fine. In fact the voltage coming across the harness was wrong, 2.5V instead of 5V and so the lamp was going orange instead of red. So you can do this simple test of swapping tail lamps and testing. I´m just assuming the connector is identical on both sides.
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From searching, the only other topics related to brake lights out seem to be related to the brake pedal position switch.
I think the other advice is spot on, try switching the tail lights, if connectors are the same, or maybe try a mobile auto electrician?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I wasn't aware that the plugs were identical, however a quick look at some on eBay shows they appear to have the same pin configuration so this is a good suggestion to at least eliminate a feed error. Cheap to do :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
markzeb

Post by markzeb »

Thanks for the replies - I went for the wiring and after a little wiggle got it going again. I've not had the time to go searching for the break in the connection but its all tidy now and will hopefully be fine and at least I know the fault.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

markzeb wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:22 am Thanks for the replies - I went for the wiring and after a little wiggle got it going again. I've not had the time to go searching for the break in the connection but its all tidy now and will hopefully be fine and at least I know the fault.
Nothing beats and cheap easy and lucky fix. Just keep an eye on it when reversed near a wall to see that it's still working and when you get time check it out properly.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

It is probably a corroded connector at the taillight, as you can see in the diagram the brake lights have their own positive circuit, negative is common:Image
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

Capture.JPG

P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post