Powered tailgate squeaking

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

As the tailgate opens, one of the struts has started to squeak. (No rodents involved.) I'm guessing a spray of lubricant into it is required? Perhaps a silicon spray? Or are they better left dry as I have no idea what's inside them?
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Is it the strut mechanism or the pivots?
I'd suspect the latter and pretty much anything except WD40 is OK on them. Thin oil, or silicone spray you mentioned. Best way to get it in is to prise out the small retainer clip at one end, pull the strut off the pivot and lubricate. Repeat on all 4 pivots. Remember to support the tailgate as it will only have one strut connected.

As the struts have oil in there should be nothing to lube, just ensure the rod are clean, however your silicone spray won't harm
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Thanks for this advice. I've just put a brief spray of silicon lubricant onto both pivots and a little down the rubber sleeve half way down. All's quiet so far....
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Jaguandy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:52 am Thanks for this advice. I've just put a brief spray of silicon lubricant onto both pivots and a little down the rubber sleeve half way down. All's quiet so far....
I'm sure it will be one of the pivots. Been an easy fix :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post