Retrofit fixed rear spoiler replacing active spoiler - help!

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MaricL

Post by MaricL »

Hi guys, found my F Type MY65 a year ago, perfect spec except it didn`t have the fixed rear spoiler.
Now looking to retrofit the fixed rear spoiler (JLR part No: T2R25912LML I think), replacing my active spoiler.

As the car was a long term purchase, any mods have to be perfect - and not affect the original exhaust sound!

* My local Harwoods Brighton has confirmed the JLR supply and fitted price is as per the website, + painting (£144) so all in at £1397.
* My local Indy (Pulborough) has quoted all in £1756, as the 3 hours labour is to remove the bumper (??!!!), reprogramme and refit.

Hence, a diff of £359 with surprisingly the indy being higher.

My HELP! dilemma, is that when confirming with Harwoods that the re-config to avoid errors when removing the Active Spoiler, I got 'We can confirm that the active spoiler will be deactivated, and it should not affect any other area of the vehicle such as the exhaust, however we cannot guarantee this 100%. '

For me, the original not-updated exhaust note is part of the enjoyment of the car, but now this risks they`d remove all my pops and crackles? Unknown!

Am I being paranoid and does anyone know why the Indy are saying have to remove the bumper as it has no mention of that in the JLR fitting instructions?

Thanks you experts for your advice :-)
MY65 V8 R

scm

Post by scm »

i presume you mean Arun? If they think they have to remove the bumper they clearly have little idea of what's involved. The US forum has a whole thread by @TheRock who did just this change with details of what has to be done. I don't think any software updates are needed to implement it, the hardware should take care of that (though I'm open corrections to this belief).

Here's the link to the PDF (starts on page 8):

MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MaricL

Post by MaricL »

Thanks SCM for the interesting link, and yes even if config it appears it`s just deactivating the Deployable Rear Spoiler function - logic suggests it wouldn`t affect the exhaust, and even more worrying why Arun (yes) think they`d be removing the rear bumper!

I think I`ll progress with Harwoods Brighton ASAP before JLR stop making the part available :-)

Thanks for your input, much appreciated
MY65 V8 R
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

I would be very careful and insist they do not apply any of the pass by noise "updates", i.e H239 and would go so far as to insist on speaking with the service manager first to ensure he understands what you want. Personally, I have little faith in anything discussed at service reception at any dealership making its way accurately to the person carrying out the work. I would also put a note on the steering wheel or dashboard above the OBD port again stating "NO updates to be applied".

I'd actually be tempted to not let them near the OBD port at all and lock it. I would have thought that if they are disconnecting the motor for the deployable spoiler, the worst that could happen would be that it might show a fault code which would only be relevant the next time an OBD reader was plugged in. Obviously, if you know to what the code refers, it can be ignored.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
JekVI

Post by JekVI »

Probably gonna get flamed for saying this, but having had a 14 plate R (no updates applied) and now my early 18 plate SVR (pre-exhaust filters but obvs has the updates for drive by noise etc) I could barely tell the difference once fuse 15 had been removed

That being said if you really are worried then just lock the OBD port as Navigator said - if something does flag as an issue after the new spoiler then a reputable indie with JLR coding skills could easily sort it I'm sure

Edit to add - if you want it to be 100% perfect (and as if it came from the factory with the fixed spoiler) you'll need to change the buttons near the gear selector as the fixed spoiler cars don't have the spoiler button and instead have one large start/stop button.
Ultra Blue MY19 SVR (but without particulate filters :twisted: )
badger

Post by badger »

i did this mod on my f type, the kit comes with a part to deactivate spoiler deployment which is located under spoiler. it is a diy job to fit, kit comes with instructions. you will need correct torx bit to remove the bolts that fix it to boot. its only an hours work to fit.
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post