Squealing from startup

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

Hello all- I'm sorry if this is vague but a squealing noise after cold startup, but not necessarily immediately upon firing up the engine, that goes away within a minute and is intermittent, coming from the engine area......... Any ideas please?
Sounds a bit like the old fanbelt noises on older cars, but not as screechy.
Maybe I might be quick enough to record the sound next time.
Thank you.
I must add the aux belt and the supercharger belt are supposed to have been done. I say 'supposed'!

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I'm currently dealing with our Vauxhall engine squealing. It's when it's warmed up after about 5 mins and is most noticeable when the revs are dropping. It's a faulty PCV. I don't know if your engine has one or if it's the problem, but mentioned as a maybe.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

Thanks Jaguandy. This seems to go away very quickly and isn't something noticeable when the car is warm.
Now I did do a search on the forum before asking and nothing came up. I've just tried again with keyword 'sqeak' instead and that flags up the supercharging system, coupler or belt.
I'll get it investigated with SC and PCV in mind.
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "don't worry sir, they all do that" and 10 is "address immediately or the car is toast", where would you all place the significance of this kind of SC symptom please?
shatnersbassoon

Post by shatnersbassoon »

Is it worse when you start it up after it's rained overnight?
If so, I had a similar squealing noise on startup on my old V6S and it turned out to be a coolant leak finding its way on to a belt.
MY18 V8R AWD
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Mine has done this from about this time in the year till about March each of the three winters I've had it.

I stressed about it the first winter but have since just considered it a 'feature'.

Perhaps I'll live to regret it...but I'm ignoring it...it isn't getting worse and it has caused no other issue whatsoever in three years.

Is this noise new for you this year...or are you a new owner ?
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

shatnersbassoon wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:38 am Is it worse when you start it up after it's rained overnight?
If so, I had a similar squealing noise on startup on my old V6S and it turned out to be a coolant leak finding its way on to a belt.
Out of interest was this the water pump? Mine does it after heavy rain sometimes. A loud squeek at idle that comes and goes in the first 2 minutes after starting. I've also got some coolant loss too albeit minor.
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
shatnersbassoon

Post by shatnersbassoon »

paddy1000111 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:07 am
shatnersbassoon wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:38 am Is it worse when you start it up after it's rained overnight?
Out of interest was this the water pump? Mine does it after heavy rain sometimes. A loud squeek at idle that comes and goes in the first 2 minutes after starting. I've also got some coolant loss too albeit minor.
Yes, it was the water pump on mine. It got worse as time went on mainly noticeable on a cold start after rain or it was a damp night.
I just lived with it until I traded it in, as I thought it was just a belt.
It was also possibly the Y-Piece under the supercharger which would have been the old design.
MY18 V8R AWD

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post