Car key issue

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Bob-ski

Post by Bob-ski »

Hello members

I was wondering if any of you had a similar problem like I have right now.
I was away for 2 weeks. When I came back the car seemed to be absolutely fine.
When I parked outside the office I was unable to do a secure lock (with a beep sound) using the car key. I was able to lock the car with the hand but the car was no responding when I was pressing the lock key on the car key.
I had a spare key in the office so I used that one instead. Locked the car with the beep. You might be thinking probably the key fault. Unfortunately now the problem came back and that with the spare key.
So in summary. Car drives with no issues but starting behaving funny when you try to do a secure lock. I'm worried if that goes any further the car will not see a key at all and I will not be able to start the engine.

Any ideas?

Ps. You must love these cars to own one. All these small issues are quite annoying.

WShudds

Post by WShudds »

When did you last replaced the battery? I had my key acting up and it needed a new battery even though it was only down to 3V (instead of 3.3V when new). New battery resolved the issue.
MY18 Manual :o P340 R-Dynamic RWD Coupe, Caldera Red on 19˝ Centrifuge wheels. Pzero. Mods: Reverse camera, interior/puddle lights and tinted windows.
Bob-ski

Post by Bob-ski »

The answer is....never lol. I have the car for just over 18months and never replaced the battery. I hope it does the trick
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

The key fobs are always live, so even a spare key that is never used will discharge the battery. It's always recommended to replace the batteries in both fobs at the same time for this reason

18 months is about right. Mine wouldn't lock using the button recently (but would if you started the engine before immediately locking it). I've had my car two and a half years and had already replaced the fob batteries once before at some point.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Change both batteries to be safe
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

It to repeat the same message as solution is clear, but use high quality batteries, not the cheap unbranded stuff.
I’ve fallen into that trap before with key fobs
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Bob-ski

Post by Bob-ski »

Thank you guys. Batteries replaced. :-)
WShudds

Post by WShudds »

My car being new to me, it was quite worrying to be in a situation where the car wouldn't recognise the key therefore wouldn't start or parking it at the supermarket and not being able to lock it. The worst thing was that it would work fine at home but act weird when I was out and about.

I realised that getting very close to the driver's door, next to the side vent was the only way of locking it up. But after doing some research and changing the battery, it's back to working as normal.
MY18 Manual :o P340 R-Dynamic RWD Coupe, Caldera Red on 19˝ Centrifuge wheels. Pzero. Mods: Reverse camera, interior/puddle lights and tinted windows.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Simplest fix and good practice albeit a little wasteful to change them annually or at least every two years.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
scm

Post by scm »

Being paranoid, i always measure the battery voltage before fitting it to the fob. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post