2016 Battery Indicator

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

BMS reconfigures itself anyway after a bit. Theres loads on this on XE forums, as the early cars had an 80ah battery which has since been superceded with a 95ah unit. Mine reconfigured itself 2 miles up the road (the giveaway is that the stop/start gets enabled, apparently).
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

When you say processes.
Is that the dispkay, aircon radio.

This car doesn't need a radio code after changing right ?
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

Jaguandy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:26 pm Do ensure the car processes are shut down fully before changing the battery. There's more about this in other threads in here.
How do you do that? Surely the car wakes up to a certain extent as soon as you unlock it to open the boot.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

scm wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:20 pm
Jaguandy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:26 pm Do ensure the car processes are shut down fully before changing the battery. There's more about this in other threads in here.
How do you do that? Surely the car wakes up to a certain extent as soon as you unlock it to open the boot.
It's just waiting for the info screen to go into sleep mode, same as when sitting in the car with the ignition off. The majority of stuff probably powers down at this point. Which is handy for this, but not when trying to pump up your tyres!
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Got this done today. Paid R5800 ($340) for a Varta battery. Seems ok. Auto stop still works and the hazard light is off when parked.
It wasn't possible to let the car go to sleep as apparently they had to plug and OBD reader to copy the specs and mate it to the new battery.
THe old battery read 66% health and I know if it's in the 50% range, it's pretty much dead hence the decision.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Chris - SWE

Post by Chris - SWE »

Swapped battery last weekend on MY2017.
Tried to do everything according to the book but still had some issues.

Opened bonnet, doors and boot and waited a good 15-20 minutes. (You'll see when the interior screens, lights etc goes into sleep)
Connected a CTEK CS One on "supply" mode under the bonnet.
Disconnected the old battery and swapped for a new one. (I could see on the CTEK comfort panel in the boot that there indeed was power feed even with no battery)
Then removed the CS One and connected Icarsoft v3 JLR to do the BMS reset.
Did so and then as per the workshop manual, started the car and let it idle up to working temperature.
Shut down the car but still had the battery is low please start the engine.
Closed and locked everything and spotted that the warning triangle didn't shut down.
Repeated everything again, with the same result.
My last option was to actually lift the negative without any backup power, this solved it and low battery warning vanished.

Don´t know if i were to clever with constantly supplying power to the car that it didn't realise that i swapped battery.
Well all sorted now...

Oh and some useless information.
Old battery was the factory one, about 70% health and 96% charged when the car started to warn about low voltage.
(Always kept on a CTEK MX5 but now replaced with a CS One throughout the Swedish winter)
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Well I hope I don't have any issues for the next 5 years at least. Too many electonics in cars today. The place where the battery resides is full of electronic boxes I counted probablye about 4 boxes
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post