Door handle stuck out

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

I'm going to have to replace the offending part.
So when I try to press the driver's handle closed (because it won't automatically retract) it's jammed open, won't budge at all.
Thinking back I do remember hearing a servo/drive buzzing away in the door every now and then after the handles had retracted.
I wonder if anyone knows the likely culprit please?
Is it the actuator/servo? Anyone had to order the part and happen to know the code?
By the way I don't have keyless entry type handles. Just the normal ones.
Thank you!

ChrisPhoenixAZ

Post by ChrisPhoenixAZ »

Hi friend. I’m having the same issue. I live in the desert, so it hasn’t been caused by ice here for sure.
I wanted to share that if you disconnect your battery for a few minutes to reset the electrical system- your door handle will start working again.
Apparently if there is stress on the mechanism (maybe the ice) the computer will disable the handle motor so that it stays out.
I’ve done the battery reset several times with success.

Fortunately- the handle works again a few times, struggling a little bit, and then it disables itself again.
Unfortunately, I cannot figure out what is actually wrong. I read some general things online about retractable doorhandles, and it may not have to do with the motor that pushes the handle in and out. it might be due to friction in the parts that it cooperates with.

I think I’ve determined which part is the motor (and I think it’s also referred to as an actuator but not sure.)

I’m new to the forum and will try to post photos of what I’ve been able to find out through a LOT of effort. As you mentioned- there’s not a lot of info to find on the web.
Good luck!
2017 F-Type Premium Coupe
Caldera Red & Black trim / Daily Driver w/ 83k miles
I purchased it new in 2016 and am interested in learning more about it, and sharing what I’ve learned.
ChrisPhoenixAZ

Post by ChrisPhoenixAZ »

I believe this is what pushes and pulls the door handle:

IMG_0015.jpeg

The round coil looking thing on the right of the diagram is like a silicone cover that stretches retracts back and forth to keep the mechanics safe from getting wet it think.

Part #2:

IMG_3587.png

I have a 2017 Jaguar F-type Premium with remote keyless entry. I believe there were models that had a different entry because there is an alternate diagram that I’ve found online for 2017 models.
I purchased the f-type new in the summer of 2016, and it’s been my daily driver since. It has 83,000 miles, and I hope it has many more (but with a door lever that retracts so it doesn’t look like my car is always unlocked.)

It’s the first car I’ve ever had that I kept past the warranty period and I’ve developed an interest in learning about cars.

I hope some of what I could share about the door actuator motor is helpful. I’m an amateur, but I’ve been into the door to confirm I have this part, and I do. Please don’t take my word for it though.

It’s very easy to remove your door card to take a look inside. Just don’t set it down unless it’s lying flat. There are two plastic tabs on the bottom that will break.

Good luck to you! :)
I purchased it new in 2016 and am interested in learning more about it, and sharing what I’ve learned.
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

Thanks Chris!

I shall try the battery reset next and will report back.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

On a side note, has anyone had theirs just beep at them when they try to push it back in?

It started today. The handle still goes in and out fine when I lock and unlock with the key, and I can unlock by pushing the button on the handle, but whenever I try to push it back in it just beeps at me.
Is this a sign of the key battery failing or something more sinister?
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
scm

Post by scm »

stefan9107 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:39 pm On a side note, has anyone had theirs just beep at them when they try to push it back in?
Usually the beep tells you that something on the car is preventing it from being locked (bonnet/boot open, etc.).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

scm wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:02 pm
stefan9107 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:39 pm On a side note, has anyone had theirs just beep at them when they try to push it back in?
Usually the beep tells you that something on the car is preventing it from being locked (bonnet/boot open, etc.).
Yeh I thought it might be that, but that app says everything is closed.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

You haven't left the other key inside the car?
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

NavigatorNI wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:03 pm You haven't left the other key inside the car?
Nope.

I'll do some testing tomorrow/at the weekend and see if I can nail down what's causing the issue.
ChrisPhoenixAZ

Post by ChrisPhoenixAZ »

Stefan have you tried disconnecting the battery for a little while and then reconnecting it? That fixes a lot of electrical things and may help your problem.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post