Door handle stuck out

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

Hi there,

My driver's door handle has stopped retracting upon driving off or locking. I've tried putting a little pressure on it but it won't budge. Now this started yesterday and it was icy, where the doors were iced shut. The passenger side is fine.
I have tried keyword searching on here but just can't find a thread for this particular problem. Do you know if it locks out and recovers when the temperature rises to a reasonable level? Is there a mechanism that jams or a motor that fails? Has something gone out of synch and is this one of those things where you can reset it?

Thank you!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I have had the same issue last year when it was wet and froze and door handles would not pop out and when they finally did they would not close. As soon as it warmed up they were fine. Fingers crossed some milder weather at the weekend will resolve the issue.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

My three previous Jags (2001 XK8, 2004 XKR and 2010 XKR) all suffered this way when it was freezing. Once the temps get up a bit the problem goes away. I've not experienced in my F-Type yet since I haven't tried to use it when the temps are very low, but I'm sure it'll happen. Annoyingly, I can't disable the automatic mirror fold on lock so they may freeze and not unfold - on the 2010 XKR that was a user setting but it's a dealer-only setting on the F-Type.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

Thank you all for replies! It gives me comfort to believe that it's a 'problem' that will correct itself.
I shall wait and see with fingers crossed.

Better that than one of those cases when a mechanism thingy has broken, and it's a door panel off, pull all these other bits off to get to it, the part's really obscure and on silly lead times and it never all goes back together as it should!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

JKFTYPE wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:15 pm Thank you all for replies! It gives me comfort to believe that it's a 'problem' that will correct itself.
I shall wait and see with fingers crossed.

Better that than one of those cases when a mechanism thingy has broken, and it's a door panel off, pull all these other bits off to get to it, the part's really obscure and on silly lead times and it never all goes back together as it should!
Been there and done that on both an early BMW X5 and later Z4. Designers clearly have a bit of fun getting locks and handles in place
I hope it does self cure
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

Handle's still stuck out! Bah!
Think it's likely borked.
Deleted User 4828

Post by Deleted User 4828 »

Here is a thought. Try unlocking the car then lock it with the actual key itself, i.e. the little key stowed inside the key fob. Try locking and unlocking a few times with this. Then retry with key fob. I would say, leave the door in open mode with the key, before attempting to lock it with the key fob.

Hope this helps or even works.
Sid030

Post by Sid030 »

I’ve had this same problem with freezing temperatures and the problem resolved itself. Now that the weather is getting colder I’m having the same issue with my driver side door. Hoping it resolves itself again
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

Deleted User 4828 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:51 am Here is a thought. Try unlocking the car then lock it with the actual key itself, i.e. the little key stowed inside the key fob. Try locking and unlocking a few times with this. Then retry with key fob. I would say, leave the door in open mode with the key, before attempting to lock it with the key fob.

Hope this helps or even works.
Maybe a bit late now (deleted user?) but thank you.
I tried one cold night.
The lock was far too stiff to turn the fiddly little key. I feel it'll snap! I'll try another time.
Andrew24

Post by Andrew24 »

I had the same issue when it was icy, fine now for me
| MY14 | V6S Coupe | RWD | White | Panoramic roof |

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post