Long Runs?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
KN05

Post by KN05 »

Folks,

Has anyone done a big run, 6 hours plus?

I’m driving up to Nigg from Teesside this week which is a good 7 hours ish. I’ve recently had a near miss with a stuck open injector and just had the 50,000 mile service done for an eye watering fee, so naturally I’m a little over cautious at the moment.

I keep seeing the horror stories about the coolant hoses going and I wonder if it makes any difference at all to take a break on the way up for an hour or so, or if there’s no issues with these motors and just get it over and done with in a on-er as I usually would!
V6 Green, wrapped.

jonm

Post by jonm »

I've once did 11 hours from northern italy to calais, I frequently do 8 hours days, I think thats a sensible maximum days drive just for tirdness and concentration point of view. Later this month i'm doing a 6000 mile road trip around the scandinavian artic and baltic states.
You read too many horror storys on the internet as no-body is on here moaning about how they have'nt had problems.
My16 F-Type V6 340
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

11hours! Never mind the Jag that’s some bladder you’ve got 😂😂😂
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My recommendation is breakdown cover for peace of mind and enjoy. I'm 47,000 miles from new, premium fuel and let it warm up fully.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

jonm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:47 pm You read too many horror stories on the internet as nobody is on here moaning about how they haven't had problems.
Are calling me a nobody? Though I haven't actually moaned about my lack of problems! :lol:
Last edited by scm on Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

KN05 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:39 pm just had the 50,000 mile service done for an eye watering fee
Out of curiosity what did you have done and how much did it set you back?
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Longest run I've done was Le Mans -> Calais -> Tunnel -> Frome -> Home (near Taunton) with nothing but quick toilet-break stops - IIRC, the whole journey took just over 12 hours, including the tunnel. 2nd longest was the drive from Santander (the place, not the bank!) to Chaves in Portugal, which took around 6 hours. I also did a return run from Taunton to Cambridge with barely a 30-minute stop at Cambridge, a drive that took north of 7 hours. In all instances, I never felt restless or tired. And for the record, that's with the Performance seats with 6-way adjustment.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
jonm

Post by jonm »

If your having issues with sticking injectors a really long run is just what it needs to clean it all out.
Engines hate lots of short journeys, I never use my F-type for short journeys, only the long ones, I have another car as a daily run around.
My16 F-Type V6 340
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Obviously all fluid needs to be up to levels before any long run, inc. of course tyres.
The biggest issues typically occur in hotter weather when on a long run the car stops, be it a motorway jam, or other break. The heat soak once ram air and water circulation stops causes all sorts of issues.
Hence the reason even today you see so many car break down on a Summer holiday season when motorway traffic stops.

TBH the biggest risk is driver to themselves and others doing such long drives without breaks.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
jonm

Post by jonm »

I do take a 15 minute break every 2 hours which seems to work well for me. And usually an Hour for lunch.
My16 F-Type V6 340

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post