Two corroded (?) vents in the boot lid - what are these?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
ogscu

Post by ogscu »

I have just been to test drive a 2018 P300, it was a lovely drive but during my initial inspection I came across these (see attached images).

What are these? They look corroded to me… Should I avoid this car?

Thanks

IMG_6176.jpeg

IMG_6175.jpeg

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

They are the water drain plugs for the rear deployable spoiler and the white marks you can see are caused by water. With the boot and spoiler open you should be able to see daylight through the drain holes when you look up through them. If not, you can just clean the drain holes out. Also the drain plugs are easy enough to remove and give a good clean up and reseat if need be. They (and the tailgate trim around them) are made of plastic so no worries about corrosion there.

Don't let it put you off the car.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
ogscu

Post by ogscu »

RPSN wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:08 pm They are the water drain plugs for the rear deployable spoiler and the white marks you can see are caused by water. With the boot and spoiler open you should be able to see daylight through the drain holes when you look up through them. If not, you can just clean the drain holes out. Also the drain plugs are easy enough to remove and give a good clean up and reseat if need be. They (and the tailgate trim around them) are made of plastic so no worries about corrosion there.

Don't let it put you off the car.
Ahh, thanks for the information.

Does it make a difference that this car has a fixed spoiler?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

With regards to corrosion, still nothing to worry about.

As far as I’m aware the rear deployable spoiler is disabled if the car has a fixed spoiler? However, this video shows something different....

If your spoiler doesn’t open and close, you can check the drain plug holes are clear from underneath the tailgate as shown in your pics (a torch/light should help).
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

ogscu wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:17 pm Does it make a difference that this car has a fixed spoiler?
Water will still drain out of them, even with the fixed rear spoiler (ask me how I know!) Not sure where it gets in, but get in it does.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
davidls

Post by davidls »

RPSN wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:48 pm With regards to corrosion, still nothing to worry about.

As far as I’m aware the rear deployable spoiler is disabled if the car has a fixed spoiler? However, this video shows something different....

If your spoiler doesn’t open and close, you can check the drain plug holes are clear from underneath the tailgate as shown in your pics (a torch/light should help).
Should the fixed spoiler be lifting like that with the deployable spoiler? Surely the deployable one should have been disabled by whomever installed the fixed wing? The aerodynamics must be shocking and potentially dangerous to the vehicle stability?
MY21 F-Type R P575 AWD Coupe. Portofino Blue, panoramic roof, exterior black design pack, climate pack, Meridian surround sound system, privacy glass.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Looks like this guy was experimenting with a light weight carbon fibre spoiler. He says he didn't like the looks of any spoiler on the market and didn't like the idea of disabling the factory spoiler.

As you say, the aerodynamics must be shocking and potentially dangerous to the vehicle stability.

This is his post....

Jaguar F-Type Fixed Spoiler Mounted to Factory Spoiler?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ost2165527
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:02 pm Water will still drain out of them, even with the fixed rear spoiler (ask me how I know!) Not sure where it gets in, but get in it does.
Most of the water gets in at the panel gaps between the tailgate glass and deployable spoiler (when it's closed). I’m assuming the gaps are still there with the fixed spoiler fitted as highlighted in the attached image....

1.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

ogscu wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:51 pm I have just been to test drive a 2018 P300, it was a lovely drive but during my initial inspection I came across these (see attached images).

What are these? They look corroded to me… Should I avoid this car?
I can see from your other topic viewtopic.php?t=7916 that you didn’t buy this P300.

When I was looking for my car I test drove the 2.0 litre version and the 3.0 litre V6S. So glad I did this as there was no doubt in my mind which one to go for as you can tell from my signature below.

If you haven’t already done so it’s worth test driving both and giving them a good blip on the throttle!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

The plastic drain plugs can be removed from below by unclipping them with a screwdriver or better a plastic tipped tool. Originally they have a rubber/foam surface at the top sealing edge on the metal sheet as they protrude underneath the deployable spoiler. Most likely, same as my car did, that surface was not sealing anymore and water instead of flowing through the plastic part hole has leaked instead in between the metal sheets that make the boot lid, accumulated there and eventually escaped in my case through the boot locking mechanism filling my boot with water. I have removed them, cleaned the surfaces and applied a bit of silicone on the sealing edge, fitted them back and never had to worry about unwanted water in my boot ever since.
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post