Non-J rated tyres & Warranty

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
AsifG

Post by AsifG »

Hi Jag CR

I have a 2014 F-Type V6S purchased from a main dealer and thus covered under warranty

I'm looking to change my tyres and have always had Michelin on previous cars, but I note that Jaguar recommend Pirelli J-marked tyres.

Can you advise if I change to Michelin tyres (with the correct width/speed/load rating etc), will I have any warranty implications? I've not had any issues with other manufacturers but would prefer confirmation from Jaguar before I invest money in new tyres

Thanks in advance

Pete@Jaguar

Post by Pete@Jaguar »

AsifG wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:06 pm Hi Jag CR

I have a 2014 F-Type V6S purchased from a main dealer and thus covered under warranty

I'm looking to change my tyres and have always had Michelin on previous cars, but I note that Jaguar recommend Pirelli J-marked tyres.

Can you advise if I change to Michelin tyres (with the correct width/speed/load rating etc), will I have any warranty implications? I've not had any issues with other manufacturers but would prefer confirmation from Jaguar before I invest money in new tyres

Thanks in advance
Hi AsifG,

Thank you for your message.

I can confirm that providing that the tyres are all of the same specification as when the vehicle was built, this will not affect the warranty of the vehicle.

Should you wish for me to send you the tyre approval list, please provide me with your Vehicle Identification Number along with your contact details for me to assist further.

Thanks,

Chand
Tel

Post by Tel »

FWIW, JLR recommends exclusive use of Castrol lubricants in their engines... Until you find out that now they fill your engines with Mobil 1 when being serviced.

I think ours were fitted with Aston from the factory.

I don't think anyone could argue., that if your replacements exceeded (e.g PS4S) the specifications of the Pirrelli and were similar size, a warranty claim could not be nullified by fitting them.

Suppliers of third party consumables changes regularly dependant on cost above all else.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Interesting subject as my 'Jaguar Approved' '14 F Type R came with P Zero rear tyres with the legend 'N0.'

After complaining that I thought the thing was trying to kill me I noticed the N0 while it was on the back of the recovery truck (for an unrelated fault).

N0, I discovered were designated for Porsche and I assume, designed for the rear heavy 911 rather than the rear light F Type. On dry roads the rear end was skittish and on a wet road, I was the slowest vehicle as any slight application of throttle and it would try to swap ends.

I contacted Pirelli technical and JLR Customer Service and each said that tyre should not be on that car. I contacted the supplying dealer, who had fitted the tyres prior to sale and they replaced them with AMS (Aston Martin) designated P Zeros not 'J.'

The result was a massive improvement in grip and handling.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Mine came straight from the factory fitted with 'J' spec Pirelli's on the front and 'AMS' spec on the rear (20" wheels). i.e. not 'J' spec all round.

It now has Michelin PS4/S, which are also quieter and ride better. Nothing wrong with the OEM Pirelli's for the first two winters and 15,000 miles. But last winter, even with 4mm they were terrible even when it wasn't particularly cold. Pirelli's seemed to go off quickly when more than half worn. It'll be interesting to see how the Michelin's do.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Pete@Jaguar wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks in advance
Hi AsifG,

I can confirm that providing that the tyres are all of the same specification as when the vehicle was built, this will not affect the warranty of the vehicle.

Should you wish for me to send you the tyre approval list, please provide me with your Vehicle Identification Number along with your contact details for me to assist further.

Thanks,

Chand
Thanks for the reply ... greatly appreciated
AsifG

Post by AsifG »

Pete@Jaguar wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks in advance
Hi AsifG,

Thanks,

Chand
Thanks for the quick response!

The tyres I was looking to purchase are:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Front: 255/35R20 (97Y) XL TL
Rear: 295/30R20 (101Y) XL TL

I'll PM my VIN and contact details to you now too

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post