400 Sport rear brake callipers

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
basher

Post by basher »

Hi Jag CR.

A few of us 400 Sport owners are rather disappointed with the quality of the finish on our rear brake callipers. See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2710&hilit=400+rear+brake

We can obviously get them painted - at our own expense - but why should we?

For a car that costs ยฃ75k I would expect something a little better than callipers that look unfinished. It really does spoil the otherwise gorgeous aesthetic of the car.

Can anything be done about this?

Thanks.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. ๐Ÿ˜

Pete@Jaguar

Post by Pete@Jaguar »

basher wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:43 pm Hi Jag CR.

A few of us 400 Sport owners are rather disappointed with the quality of the finish on our rear brake callipers. See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2710&hilit=400+rear+brake

We can obviously get them painted - at our own expense - but why should we?

For a car that costs ยฃ75k I would expect something a little better than callipers that look unfinished. It really does spoil the otherwise gorgeous aesthetic of the car.

Can anything be done about this?

Thanks.
Hi basher,

I am sorry to learn of your comments.

I can confirm that the vehicle has been manufactured to design specification. With this in mind, Jaguar would unfortunately be unable to assist with any alterations that you wish to undertake to the rear brake callipers.

Your feedback has been passed to the relevant area of the business for them to consider reviewing this for future models.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks,

Becci
RRB

Post by RRB »

Can Front callipers be fitted to the rear, would it be a straight swap? How would it effect brake balance?
2017 Black 400s convertible :D
basher

Post by basher »

Ok. Thanks Becci. I though that would be the case. ๐Ÿ˜

@RRB... that's an interesting idea. I'm not mechanically minded at all, so have never even considered that. It does surprise me how small the rear callipers are, especially as the discs are almost the same size as the front ones.

RRB

Post by RRB »

basher wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 pm Ok. Thanks Becci. I though that would be the case. ๐Ÿ˜

@RRB... that's an interesting idea. I'm not mechanically minded at all, so have never even considered that. It does surprise me how small the rear callipers are, especially as the discs are almost the same size as the front ones.
It might have something to do with the brake bias, large disc but small calliper = not as much breaking force as large disc and large calliper, never the less the rear callipers do look s**t !
2017 Black 400s convertible :D
Backfire

Post by Backfire »

Oh dear, oh dear. It all depends if you want brakes to look at, or stop the car. Call me old fashioned but I tend to veer to the latter, in fact talking of veer, thats what would happen with front callipers on the back - straight off the road backwards. No car has equal brakes front and rear, much more braking on the front for stability. You could certainly fit larger rears but then you would have to go up on the fronts. I think we have to think very hard when drifting away from manufacturers specs these days, with all the integrated electronic systems. Best just to paint them.
My 1957 XK150 has larger front callipers than original, with standard rears, that works well but no abs or any of that namby pamby nonsense.
2017MY F Type Coupe, Caldera Red, 19 Centrifuges, Pan Roof, Leather memory heated seats, Parking pack. Also 1957 XK150 FHC.
basher

Post by basher »

Thanks Backfire. I did some googling after my last post, and now understand why rear callipers are smaller.

Still doesn't resolve the fact that they do look s**t on the 400. I will be looking into getting mine painted at some point.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post