Lying Salesman..A cancer among us, unfortunately. UK.

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

Hello all. Thanks for looking.
I'm a new member, but not totally new to the world Jaguar (UK) having owned a XF since 2017. I recently decided to look and buy an F-Type, midlife crisis and all that (well bit past mid but hey ho)
I went to a few main dealer showrooms after looking online for a suitable car, tested a few and finally decided on a red 2017 3.0 R-Dynamic.
All went well, even thou the buying as usual was the typical stereo type salespersons tactics, oh I'll go see my manager, and the normal push for all the very unnecessary GAP insurance etc, anyways moving on. I agreed on the part exchange and cash amount for the car and I awaited delivery.
I also done my homework and had someone from another F-Type forum get me the details on the vehicle, so I could go armed with as much information as possible. One of the items was the car was due this June for a Major service, this was date related and not mileage as the car has only covered nearly 17000 miles.
We agreed on the sale, and the 'Manager' said, 'even thou the car is a little short of the 3 month date that Jaguar stipulate for automatic service on a Jaguar Approved Vehicles, I wouldn't release the car to you until it was done'.
So I waited 5 days and finally the car was to be delivered this Monday past. I received the car, done a quick walk around and notice two dust caps missing (hint one) so the delivery driver took two from my 2017 XF and placed them on the car.
So after the delivery driver left, I took the car for a drive, unfortunately it was horrid weather and went to use the windscreen washer, and no fluid appeared (hint two)
When I arrived home I thought I'd go over the vehicle and check other things, first thing I noticed was the coolant level was on minimum (hint three)
So regretfully, I contacted the dealer and explained my disappointment.
I received the usual generic apologies etc and allegedly it was being looked into.
Several emails ensued and I kind of got the impression that I was receiving ambiguous emails, nothing specific, all vague etc (hint 4)
I has also been repeatedly asking for a print out of the service work undertaken and also past history, I did get one email from my initial contact with an email with dates and mileage of the services...no actual Jaguar print out etc (hint 5)
I then was passed over from my initial contact to another person at the company, whom I spoke to on the phone and to cut a long story short we agreed the car was to be looked at a service centre nearer to me, as the original point of sale dealer was some 140 miles away, some 280 mile round trip, and as I am on a limited mileage insurance I did not want to waste mileage.
I then asked in an email for this to be confirmed in writing, and so the fun began.
Basically they have said THEY NEVER AGREED TO THE SERVICE AND THE 'MANGER' SAID THAT HE WOULD OF NEVER AGREED TO THAT! even thou repeatedly in several emails I stated the service looks like it was never undertaken before delivery and they never once, UNTIL I asked for it in writing, said that it had in fact not been done.
My reaction to this all, saddened but at the same time not surprised. The stress and anguish I am currently going through is tremendous. Not pulling on the heart strings but I'm not a young man anymore and also not 100% healthy, hence why the midlife crisis car to be brutally honest.
This is the second time I have bought a Jaguar and both times my experience has been stressful and incredibly sad. Do these people not realise why Japanese and German cars are No1. It doesn't have to be this way.
I have told them I am returning the vehicle under the Jaguar approved 30 day cooling of period, I await the fall out later today.
ps. I am aware customers lie too. But I can only tell you my take on it as it is happening to me.
MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

That's a shame as you found a cracking car and identified and agreed as part of the sale that the next service (a major one) would be covered as part of the sale. (Of which all the points you raised would of been resolved).

Shame your dealer has let you down at this point. Hope you come to a solution suitable for all.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Just moved this one to Customer Relations.
Perhaps if you PM the rep (Dan) on here they may be able to assist.
The PM address is Pete@Jaguar.
Pete@Jaguar

Post by Pete@Jaguar »

MM1963 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 am Hello all. Thanks for looking.
I'm a new member, but not totally new to the world Jaguar (UK) having owned a XF since 2017. I recently decided to look and buy an F-Type, midlife crisis and all that (well bit past mid but hey ho)
I went to a few main dealer showrooms after looking online for a suitable car, tested a few and finally decided on a red 2017 3.0 R-Dynamic.
All went well, even thou the buying as usual was the typical stereo type salespersons tactics, oh I'll go see my manager, and the normal push for all the very unnecessary GAP insurance etc, anyways moving on. I agreed on the part exchange and cash amount for the car and I awaited delivery.
I also done my homework and had someone from another F-Type forum get me the details on the vehicle, so I could go armed with as much information as possible. One of the items was the car was due this June for a Major service, this was date related and not mileage as the car has only covered nearly 17000 miles.
We agreed on the sale, and the 'Manager' said, 'even thou the car is a little short of the 3 month date that Jaguar stipulate for automatic service on a Jaguar Approved Vehicles, I wouldn't release the car to you until it was done'.
So I waited 5 days and finally the car was to be delivered this Monday past. I received the car, done a quick walk around and notice two dust caps missing (hint one) so the delivery driver took two from my 2017 XF and placed them on the car.
So after the delivery driver left, I took the car for a drive, unfortunately it was horrid weather and went to use the windscreen washer, and no fluid appeared (hint two)
When I arrived home I thought I'd go over the vehicle and check other things, first thing I noticed was the coolant level was on minimum (hint three)
So regretfully, I contacted the dealer and explained my disappointment.
I received the usual generic apologies etc and allegedly it was being looked into.
Several emails ensued and I kind of got the impression that I was receiving ambiguous emails, nothing specific, all vague etc (hint 4)
I has also been repeatedly asking for a print out of the service work undertaken and also past history, I did get one email from my initial contact with an email with dates and mileage of the services...no actual Jaguar print out etc (hint 5)
I then was passed over from my initial contact to another person at the company, whom I spoke to on the phone and to cut a long story short we agreed the car was to be looked at a service centre nearer to me, as the original point of sale dealer was some 140 miles away, some 280 mile round trip, and as I am on a limited mileage insurance I did not want to waste mileage.
I then asked in an email for this to be confirmed in writing, and so the fun began.
Basically they have said THEY NEVER AGREED TO THE SERVICE AND THE 'MANGER' SAID THAT HE WOULD OF NEVER AGREED TO THAT! even thou repeatedly in several emails I stated the service looks like it was never undertaken before delivery and they never once, UNTIL I asked for it in writing, said that it had in fact not been done.
My reaction to this all, saddened but at the same time not surprised. The stress and anguish I am currently going through is tremendous. Not pulling on the heart strings but I'm not a young man anymore and also not 100% healthy, hence why the midlife crisis car to be brutally honest.
This is the second time I have bought a Jaguar and both times my experience has been stressful and incredibly sad. Do these people not realise why Japanese and German cars are No1. It doesn't have to be this way.
I have told them I am returning the vehicle under the Jaguar approved 30 day cooling of period, I await the fall out later today.
ps. I am aware customers lie too. But I can only tell you my take on it as it is happening to me.
Good Morning MM1963,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply concerned to learn of your comments, and I can confirm that this is not the experience we expect our customers to have when visiting our Approved Retailer network.

Should you wish for me to investigate your concerns, please may I request that you send me the following information via PM.

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal Contact Details
The details of the Retailer in question

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
chicb

Post by chicb »

Good for you demanding a refund. If nothing will focus their attention then this will. You might have escaped more heartache if it had to go back for any warranty work. There are plenty good cars out their, finding a good dealer may be harder.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
Tel

Post by Tel »

Shame to hear, but not untypical.

Maybe worth focusing your energies on working with the dealer and CR, I'm sure they will sort it for you.
Lesson learned, don't use that dealer again.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
alpinaman

Post by alpinaman »

I have never met a salesman yet that wont lie through their teeth to get the better of a situation.

Horrible horrible people...

I wish you luck with whatever you decide,and if you keep to your guns and reject the car best wishes in finding another.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

My "discussion" with either CR or the dealer is that all cars are supposed to go through a 165 point check! How then can it be delivered without dust caps, no washer water and a low coolant level?

Similarly I picked mine up from Coventry after parking the car up overnight in the garage there were oil spots from the diff on the garage floor. Contacted the dealer who said it couldn't be the diff as it goes through the 165 point check.

Took it into my local dealer and what a surprise, the diff was leaking badly and a new diff required.

IMHO I doubt if any car really goes through this check 😤 unless your very lucky.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

Firstly the feedback and response has really touched me and I feel I am not alone anymore and being bullied in corporate BS, I really feel something positive will now come of this situation.
I have indeed sent pete@jaguar a lengthy message (It could of been four time longer thou to be honest) and a huge thanks for that.
I forgot also in my original post, that when I test drove the said car the front near side tyre was some 6psi lower than the rest, this was brushed aside by the 'sales person'.
Upon delivery and my original rainy test drive, the tyre flashed up again the same 6psi lower.............enough said tbh. :|
MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I had the same, my left rear tyre was down at 20psi!
They were new tyres all around.
I always take my manual guage with me when collecting a new car having had previous issues.
Salesman just shrugged his shoulders and took it back into the workshop :twisted:
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel