Jaguar Assist

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Hi

I wondered what is covered by Assist and are my expectations overly optimistic.

To avoid hitting on oncoming van on Sunday on the wrong side of the road I had to drive onto a verge and burst a tyre.

Calling Assist first reply was that I couldn’t travel in the breakdown truck and would have to make my own way home. Wait would be 2-3 hours.
AA later told me I would have been able to travel in their cab, but by then I’d arranged alternative transport for my passenger as it was late and after 4 hours he had missed the last train.
I was eventually offered a taxi as the recovery driver (not AA) had done his hours and would take my car to depot and deliver it first thing Monday.
After about 3 hours of calls to Assist over the next 2 days my car eventually arrived Tuesday evening, 48 hours after the incident. During these multiple calls I was given various promises and assurances re delivery, none of which happened nor was the promise of an update ever followed up.

Talking to friends who both have range rovers I am told this service is normal from LR Assist. My only other experience of competitor breakdown assist was BMW in February which worked like a well oiled machine and was light years away from my Jaguar experience.

I find this surprising, is my experience usual?

2nd, it is really unclear what is covered and what solutions are available , for example is a hire car ever offered? Or is it standard AA cover?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK

chicb

Post by chicb »

That is awful service compared to Mercedes assist. A couple of years ago at 5.30am, I went over something on the road which blew out 2 tyres on the same side of my S class. Phoned Mercedes & surprised they answered at that time of the morning. The recovery truck arrived about 45mins later & took me & the car to a dealership, which had a C class ready for me. My own car would be ready next day as a wheel was also damaged. Whilst driving to my office, Mercedes assist phoned to see if everything was fine. I said yes & the lady asked if they had given me an S class. I said no, its a C class, but wasn't bothered as it was only for a day. She said that's not acceptable & she would arrange for an S class to be delivered to my office which it was within an hour. What an unbelievable difference to your experience.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@chickb__ I wonder why you ever bothered buying a Jaguar if Mercedes was so fantastic... 8-)
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

I am seriously asking myself that very question, if Jaguar Assist is generally as poor as I just experienced then I won’t be rushing to get another JLR vehicle, no matter how good some of their cars may be.

I was hoping for someone to suggest it was an exception, but it seems nobody can do that.

My experience with BMW when something went wrong and the example from Mercedes above are not difficult to achieve; surely it’s not too much to ask?
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I can tell that I have an F-Type P300 since early 2018, never needed to even look for that button..
This year I bought a 25t F-Pace Premium R-Sport, forgot I have such a button...
I think I stick a post-it on it, just in case I'd ever need it....

Conclusion : it doesn't matter how good/bad that service is, as long as you never need it... :mrgreen:
Poodlehat

Post by Poodlehat »

I blew a tyre a couple of weeks ago on top of Exmoor. Phoned Jaguar assist who arranged for a tow truck to take the car to Taunton Jaguar and a taxi to take us They liaised with the taxi firm so it arrived at the same time as the truck, so we weren't left on Exmoor.
Jaguar Taunton didn't have a tyre, but they got one delivered and had us on our way within 2 hours.
We had to wait 3 hours for truck.......but we were in a really remote spot. Jaguar kept us informed as to what happening during the wait.
I was happy with the service we received.
F-Type R, MY14, Stratus Grey
Previous
Z4M
S2000
chicb

Post by chicb »

Dan, I was only saying what happened with me compared to OP, do you have a problem with that ?. My Ftype never had any problems, but I do prefer Mercedes & waiting on my new S63 coupe. We are all entitled to our own views, well up to now that is, but it looks as though its changing.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've only used Jaguar Assist once when I had a flat on my drive. It was a Jaguar Assist van that came out. Took about 90 min but I was at home so thought that was reasonable.

On arrival he said he would take the wheel off and put on a spare space saver he had and then take the wheel off for repair/replacement tyre and come back but after taking it off he said it was the valve leaking and put on some weird 3 inch valve extension which did the trick and then called the local dealer to get me booked in for the following morning. All went OK and dealer did it under warranty.

I guess experiences will vary due to location, remote locations, local availability, covid restrictions and actual issue but the OP experience seems less than ideal. No one wants to be stuck at side of the road but I guess they have to prioritise motorway breakdowns, lone people, vulnerable and people with kids and I don't think Jaguar assist have any flat beds and outsource that to AA.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

-- I rephrased this post partly , as it was not clear to whom I adressed it -

@Chickb;
chicb wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 am .. My Ftype never had any problems..
That is exactly my point. No need to complain about something you actually don't need.

Sure, you are entitled to your own views, and to make your own mistakes. The question will be for you : was buying or selling the F-Type the mistake ?

The forum is only a sounding board, to help with real problems and share experiences. There are lots of things wrong with JLR, but that is not the point you make. You single out an aspect that is outsourced to a third party to moan, only AFTER it happened, some time ago, with another forum member even; It was NOT the reason why you sold the F-Type; its a sideline.

I have been driving for forthy years, driven many, many different makes. I had in these 800.000kms 6 times need for assistance. Two due to accidents caused by another party. Once due to the fact the car was a banger and neither the fuelgauge, odometer or fuelwarning light functioned [ my student days..]. Once by a protruding curb that thrashed a tire.Once by worn out contacts in the alternator. Once by a dead battery [ another banger 40 odd years ago ]. Once in a rental car with a broken steering lock. I had no crashes at all since 17yrs, the last one was a pile when driving a Nissan Terran II, that simply had bad brakes [by design].

So complaining now, over a service you never needed, praising the -other- brand you go back to, sounds a lot like you want to self-approve your own decision. Kind of psychological 'self-pampering' to comfort that you really took a very good decision by selling your F-Type and -now- 'sharing' that feeling with the forum. Sounds like in reality you already regret changing to Mercedes, and you are clutching for straws making sense about your decision. You will be gawking at F-Types in times to come, resenting ever selling it.

I am not a psychologist and even I can see it... :ugeek:

I feel bad for you, as I am in -kind of- the same 'spot' . I sold my D3 due to stupid taxation and I regret every day selling it. Does it mean that the F-Pace that I bought is a bad car ? Not at all, its fine. I just should have bought a D4 or D5, or a Range Rover. I only discovered that after some 'soul searching' , and it took months [ after getting the F-Pace ] to work it out.

So it might take some months for you to realise it too. By then you have forgotten this post, that probably infuriates you as it hits you where it hurts, your motoring heart. :roll:
Last edited by Dan_Veluwe on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

I do think you are missing the point of my original post and the other perfectly valid response and have now hijacked the thread by projecting your non existent experience of Jaguar Assist.

I am heartened to read a couple of much more positive experiences though, so thanks for those.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post