Question on 3G/4G.

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Dear madam/sir,

From the online manuals I derived that all JLR models since MY2018 have "4G" capability for the infotainment, traffic info eg.

I wonder about the "secure" part. Is this equivalent technology ?

So if a webbrowser has 4G in the infotainment, the 'secure' technology for vehicle tracking also has 4G ? :geek:

In my other car, a Discovery 5 , (build feb,2017), the infotainment gives no more then "3G".. And the manual shows it doesn't have 4G.

But does then the secure tracking also doesn't have 4G ? My insurance demands vehicle tracking, so if this means it also has 3G,

I need a module to update the 3G to 4G. Or I need to have an aftermarket tracking fitted in due time. :ugeek:

Please advise.

Dan
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

Pete@Jaguar

Post by Pete@Jaguar »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:09 am Dear madam/sir,

From the online manuals I derived that all JLR models since MY2018 have "4G" capability for the infotainment, traffic info eg.

I wonder about the "secure" part. Is this equivalent technology ?

So if a webbrowser has 4G in the infotainment, the 'secure' technology for vehicle tracking also has 4G ? :geek:

In my other car, a Discovery 5 , (build feb,2017), the infotainment gives no more then "3G".. And the manual shows it doesn't have 4G.

But does then the secure tracking also doesn't have 4G ? My insurance demands vehicle tracking, so if this means it also has 3G,

I need a module to update the 3G to 4G. Or I need to have an aftermarket tracking fitted in due time. :ugeek:

Please advise.

Dan
Good afternoon Dan,,

Thank you for your post and your patience in waiting for a response.

I can confirm that the Secure Tracker / Secure Tracker Pro uses a completely separate module to the infotainment system, with it's own eSIM (embedded SIM) and antennae. There is no linkage.

Should you have subscribed to the Secure Tracker / Secure Tracker Pro service, then you will be able to locate a certificate in the InControl Portal. The tracker must be activated and must have a valid subscription to satisfy any insurance requirements.

Many thanks, Dan - Jaguar UK
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Hi Dan,

My certificate, viewed through INCONTROL, certifies that it is fitted in accordance with Thatcham Category 6 tracking and gives all the required references. As this will be market dependent to UK, I guess that when you login to the Netherlands INCONTROL it will show you the certificate required for your region, although you will need an active subscription to see the certificate (and references) itself. Maybe another owner living in the Netherlands who has a valid subscription can tell you which system it is categorised with locally?
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Pete@Jaguar

@GusA

It seems not to be available in the Netherlands. In only confirms there is a tracker active and a subscription.

"Dit voertuig heeft een abonnement.." = This vehicle has a subscription..

secure.jpg

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:00 pm @Pete@Jaguar

@GusA

It seems not to be available in the Netherlands. In only confirms there is a tracker active and a subscription.

"Dit voertuig heeft een abonnement.." = This vehicle has a subscription..

secure.jpg
Hi Dan,

Logging in through UK site gives me this screen. When you click the “view certificate “ link you get all the references and certificates. Maybe the Dutch JLR importer could help you?

0BA94752-68CD-43A8-9C3A-FF616CD84999.jpeg

Fez

Post by Fez »

You Jaguar app will also tell you if you have a valid tracker subscription.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Here dealers have to login on a collective website of the insurance companies, these have requeirements
which the dealer has to confirm. Then they can print a certificate.

It costs € 90 to get it ready and download it.. .. bur then it stays with the car for future owners.

It remains valid unless there is no active subscription.

But Pete did not get my question fully.

Not only did I wonder if secure/control are on the same SIM as WiFi and routing.

But also are the the same category of "G" . In my F-Type I see "4G" for the extra SIMCARD, so its safe to assume that secure/control are 4G.

But in my Disco 5 the extra SIM module is only 3G ; who knows if the secure/control SIM MODULE is then 3G or also 4G .... :ugeek:
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Does this answer the question?

Appreciate this is UK version and your Euro but seems to suggest InControl features including Secure are 2G/3G/4G.

https://incontrol.jaguar.com/jaguar-por ... itions/GBR
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@simpleR

Thanks, but this version is a text as of 2019 [ " InControl Package Terms and Conditions Effective as of 13 October 2019" ] ,
and it limits to the network aspect :

".. In addition, 2G, 3G and/or 4G mobile signal or GNSS (e.g. GPS) may not always be available and can therefore impact operation and availability of the InControl Services. Please refer to the Vehicle’s handbook for details of some of the factors that will affect the availability and functionality of the InControl Services..".

In my (d5) handbook it only mentions 3G/2G...

My question refers to my MY2017 Discovery that has only 3G capability for the extra SIM. My worry is that the 'secure/control' SIM thus are also 3G,
hence downgraded to "2G lame duck" once 5G is fully operational and the disconnect 3G to clear the spot for 5G antenna's... :?

This is also of the essence to F-Type owners with this issue, thats why I combine my 4G F-Type and the 3G D5 in a single thread. :mrgreen:

I fail to understand why JLR installs foreseeable outdated kit in a toprange car while the 5G modules are backward compatible down to 2G and were
already around since 2015 and not a lot more expensive then the 3G.

And the million dollar question : will there be a hardware upgrade option at an affordable expense for 'disabled' cars... :cry:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post