Service Rip off?

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Yep, when I looked into it apparently the replacement of plugs changed from 6 years to 5 at some point (thread below) . I've no problem, on the basis that when my 5 year service plan was take out the price and contract was based on what was included in the schedule at the time. £1500 was still a good deal.

viewtopic.php?f=21&start=10&t=4416&sid= ... 8f452b8707
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

mickjaguar wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:33 pm Yep, when I looked into it apparently the replacement of plugs changed from 6 years to 5 at some point (thread below) . I've no problem, on the basis that when my 5 year service plan was take out the price and contract was based on what was included in the schedule at the time. £1500 was still a good deal.

viewtopic.php?f=21&start=10&t=4416&sid= ... 8f452b8707
Thank you for clarifying.
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
BlackTypeR

Post by BlackTypeR »

simpleR wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:44 pm To be honest, sometimes a good relationship with a trusted garage is so important, and you may have fell foul to some less than perhaps perfectly honest procedures however you did agree to the work and prices?

With cars and carpets there are always deals to be done.

I had a quote from Jaguar online for 4th service and the price was ridiculous and didn't include all the 4th service items like rear diff oil change.

A good chat to local main dealer and ended up with a price lower than the two independents quoted with everything included in writing and confirmed over email. Two front wipers were £37 fitted whilst I waited BTW.

Having a good relationship with the garage of your choice was something I learnt early on and has always stood good over the decades.

Hope you get the resolution you want.

To be honest, no idea if they did a good job or not. I would love to have a trusted garage, I take great pride in my car, I look well after it and I am in the fortunate position to be able to spend a bit more money for piece of mind. Unfortunately not West Motor Company Kingston!!

The way I got sold/scared into the aircon and wiper blades just left me with a very bad feeling, this is very shady, not a good business practise to squeeze out money out of customers rather than earning by giving me options where I would in most cases spend extra for the best parts and services

The sold called aircon service... once I agreed to it, it was all of a sudden done within 30mins.. I was reassured they have checked everything for leaks etc it was not just a top up (i don't believe that)

I guess just more upset with myself for getting scammed, I should have know better!
Black F Type R AWD 2015
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3764
stickshift steve

Post by stickshift steve »

an aircon service is just putting a machine onto the 2 pressurised pipes and turning the machine on to do an automated sequence.
The machine does pretty much what a blood dialysis does. It sucks out the old gas and puts new gas back in.
It sucks out the gas and holds a negative pressure to check for leaks (if it can't hold negative pressure it knows it is sucking in fresh air) and refills it afterwards. I believe it costs around £50 at Halfords . It has nothing to do with an MOT . They may be saying that they noticed it was not working when they did an MOT but it is not part of the test.
Pete@Jaguar

Post by Pete@Jaguar »

BlackTypeR wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:07 pm Ok just back from West Motor Jaguar Kingston, 6yr service completed, but I am bit suspicious:

1. Jaguar quotes £700.33 online (not sure incl or excl VAT, I think with VAT but I might be wrong), I was charged £883 (736.52 + VAT)
Does anyone know if the Jaguar website prices are including or excluding VAT?

2. I have been told that Aircon came up as a MOT advisory, I have to do the service. They recommend a full AC service for £250. Naively I have agreed to this as I wanted a clean bill on the DVLA website, but figured out afterwards that AC is not part of the MOT check.

3. Smearing wipers would have come up as MOT advisory, but they offered to replace them for me so they won't come up... charge was £62. Again, naively I agreed.

Ended up paying £1.25k - where initially I thought I am looking at 700 incl VAT for the 6yr service.

Was promised a call back on Tuesday, but I feel like since I have paid, that's it here.
I will bring this up with JLC as well, in case something can be done should the 3+ price be 700 incl VAT (aircon and wiper just my stupidity)

And since I am already biased... when I picked up the car, the engine coolant was warm, sport mode engaged, rear wing up... pretty sure someone took it for a spirited "test drive" ;-)
Good morning BlackTypeR,

Thank you for your post.

I am concerned to learn of your comments. While I can confirm that costs that are incurred from a service are at the discretion of the retailer, I would be more than happy to investigate your experience further should you not feel satisfied with the service you have received.

Should this be the case, please may I request that you send me a PM with your Vehicle Identifcation Number and your contact details.

Many thanks, Dan - Jaguar UK
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

Pete@Jaguar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:15 am
BlackTypeR wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:07 pm Ok just back from West Motor Jaguar Kingston, 6yr service completed, but I am bit suspicious:

1. Jaguar quotes £700.33 online (not sure incl or excl VAT, I think with VAT but I might be wrong), I was charged £883 (736.52 + VAT)
Does anyone know if the Jaguar website prices are including or excluding VAT?

2. I have been told that Aircon came up as a MOT advisory, I have to do the service. They recommend a full AC service for £250. Naively I have agreed to this as I wanted a clean bill on the DVLA website, but figured out afterwards that AC is not part of the MOT check.

3. Smearing wipers would have come up as MOT advisory, but they offered to replace them for me so they won't come up... charge was £62. Again, naively I agreed.

Ended up paying £1.25k - where initially I thought I am looking at 700 incl VAT for the 6yr service.

Was promised a call back on Tuesday, but I feel like since I have paid, that's it here.
I will bring this up with JLC as well, in case something can be done should the 3+ price be 700 incl VAT (aircon and wiper just my stupidity)

And since I am already biased... when I picked up the car, the engine coolant was warm, sport mode engaged, rear wing up... pretty sure someone took it for a spirited "test drive" ;-)
Good morning BlackTypeR,

Thank you for your post.

I am concerned to learn of your comments. While I can confirm that costs that are incurred from a service are at the discretion of the retailer, I would be more than happy to investigate your experience further should you not feel satisfied with the service you have received.

Should this be the case, please may I request that you send me a PM with your Vehicle Identifcation Number and your contact details.

Many thanks, Dan - Jaguar UK
That is outrageous. Halfords or indy for air con. I would go to town on them. Hopefully Jaguar will do something. Air Con is not an MOT failure. As for taking the car for a spirited drive urrrrggghhhh!! Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

It really pays to shop around with every dealer close by or a reasonable distance.
After various phone calls and negotiations I got a great price from a other dealer for my future year 6 service, not too far away distance wise, having been frustrated with a no negotiation stand from the dealer who normally services my car.
Just thought I would have another go with my local and spoke to a different person...well! £471 for the 6 year service including brake fluid change and confirmed in writing.
So yes even taking into consideration London prices, what you have paid, bears no resemblance to JLR's fixed price servicing for cars over 3 years old.
Probably not what you want to hear!
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
ftypescotland

Post by ftypescotland »

Having previously owned mostly S model Audis and always used main dealer for servicing due to service plans agreed at the point of purchase, dealer experience has always been pleasant, welcoming, accommodating and helpful. No surprises in cost, everything disclosed upfront and straight forward.

Then moved on to owning 2 cars, with my 2nd car being an F-type R MY 2015.

Ownership started October 2020 with a recent service done prior to purchase so in September 2021 it was due its first service in my ownership. With all previous services done by main dealers I hadn’t made the decision to go independent or retain the main dealer history.

Due to working at sea I was trying to arrange its next service by email. I contacted my closest dealer, Pentland Jaguar in Edinburgh (John-Clark), Fort Kinnaird, directly by email and had no response. Then tried to contact them through Jaguar UK website, without response. So finally 6 weeks prior to the service being due I booked the service using Jaguar UK website online booking system.

My car was scheduled for 84months service but with only 22.5kmiles. The website listed £261.52 for 84month service. I completed the booking and received a confirmation email with booking details, Dealer details, time, date, cost along with my car details.

Arrived as planned to be told there was no booking with the service department and to be told that the service could not be done that day. I refused to leave until the service was done and service manager then agreed to complete the service as it was minor and wouldn’t take long. I waited at the dealer for the work to be complete. I was told 1.5 hours but was almost 3 hours.

On completion I was asked to pay £226.65 more than the price listed online and agreed in the confirmation email. £488.17 instead of £261.52.

I asked the woman at the service desk if I could to speak to the manager. But was told the manager is unavailable. The attitude and customer service skills of the woman on the desk were near foul although on this occasion worked in their favour, because I had waited so long and the whole process from booking, arriving, being welcomed to the building, communicating with the service desk, refused the right to speak with a manager even a manager from another department who may have be able to help to some degree. I ended up reluctantly paying the total bill at that moment, but followed up with sharing the confirmation email and taking the service managers contact details just to get out the building.

I completed a feedback questionnaire online which was one of these automated surveys from Jaguar UK. Finally prompted communication with the aftersales manager.

Manager “Thanks very much for taking the time to feedback as it has unearthed an issue of data/system set-up.
We have (Nationally) signed up to a campaign that will attract 3+ Year old vehicles into the Network whereby the prices are not correct or aligned.
Apologies you had to bare the brunt of this however your feedback has allowed me to sort today with JLR.”

Me “A customer who books a service at a confirmed and advertised price should not be asked to pay more on the day let alone be refused the right to discuss the circumstances with a manager.
Firstly,
As you mentioned there has been an error on Jaguar UK or Pentland Jaguar part not my part as a customer and a reputable company would be offering a refund for the mistake to honour the original advertised price as a minimum. When will I receive a refund of the difference and will this be from Pentland Jaguar or Jaguar UK?
Secondly,
As a customer services aspect you have not mentioned anything of why I was not allowed to speak with a manager on the day. If this is how all issues are dealt with, I would be surprised if Pentland Jaguar retain customers who have experienced similar issues. Is this a common way of dealing with complaints within Pentland Jaguar or Jaguar UK?”

Manager “Apologies missed out the most important part whereby you will be receiving a refund for the difference as the original/offered price will absolutely be honoured. The management Team onsite are eager to deal with any customer issues as they arise quickly, this has been discussed with the Team/FOH Manager and individuals involved as even if I’m unavailable (I was on annual leave that day) the Head of Business or Sales Managers will pick up. Tried to call again as sometimes easier to discuss and emails can lack purpose/empathy etc.

• £488.17 Service paid
• £261.52 Displayed price
• £226.65 Refund due

I hope this finds you well and as intended”

Service was on the 2nd September and finally had a refund by beginning of October.

I followed up again in January because when checking online the Prices had not changed for the service intervals using the Jaguar UK online service booking. I did get confirmation that the next scheduled service on my car is as per the indicated price online. So what was Pentland Jaguar doing with the extra money that they were charging above the listed price by Jaguar UK? Has anyone else been effected but not raised any concerns?

It could be possible that Jaguar UK have set the prices and subsidise the Dealers for services booked online to encourage owners without service plans for their cars. Just a theory.

My F-Type is my first Jaguar/Land Rover ownership experience and first time in to a Jaguar/Land Rover Dealer, first impressions are everything. Do I have to be dressed smartly to get the correct treatment opposed to how I was treated being a young guy wearing jeans and hoody! Even now 7 months on I am in doubt I will own another Jaguar/Land Rover in the future and most likely when my family car needs replaced it will still be from VW group Cameron’s in Perth. When my F-Type is due its next service in September this year I will not be returning to Pentland Jaguar, I will be considering other Jaguar dealers nearby and comparing prices over the phone with the online price for the same garage. Or independent garages.

Do any of you know reliable Jaguar Independent garages in the Fife/Perthshire/Edinburgh areas?
Scott
F-Type R Rwd Salsa Red
https://www.instagram.com/ftypescotland/

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post