Service Rip off?

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
BlackTypeR

Post by BlackTypeR »

Ok just back from West Motor Jaguar Kingston, 6yr service completed, but I am bit suspicious:

1. Jaguar quotes £700.33 online (not sure incl or excl VAT, I think with VAT but I might be wrong), I was charged £883 (736.52 + VAT)
Does anyone know if the Jaguar website prices are including or excluding VAT?

2. I have been told that Aircon came up as a MOT advisory, I have to do the service. They recommend a full AC service for £250. Naively I have agreed to this as I wanted a clean bill on the DVLA website, but figured out afterwards that AC is not part of the MOT check.

3. Smearing wipers would have come up as MOT advisory, but they offered to replace them for me so they won't come up... charge was £62. Again, naively I agreed.

Ended up paying £1.25k - where initially I thought I am looking at 700 incl VAT for the 6yr service.

Was promised a call back on Tuesday, but I feel like since I have paid, that's it here.
I will bring this up with JLC as well, in case something can be done should the 3+ price be 700 incl VAT (aircon and wiper just my stupidity)

And since I am already biased... when I picked up the car, the engine coolant was warm, sport mode engaged, rear wing up... pretty sure someone took it for a spirited "test drive" ;-)
Black F Type R AWD 2015
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3764

scm

Post by scm »

I got my wiper blades from Rimmer's - £52.86 inc.delivery. And you'd be better getting A/C done at an indy or aircon place rather than a main dealer - as you've found it's very expensive.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
BlackTypeR

Post by BlackTypeR »

yep, the worst part is that I actually never use my AC and nothing was probably wrong with it, but supposedly this came up during the MOT!

I am now just trying to figure out with they charged me normal rate despite the invoice stating 3+ price.
Black F Type R AWD 2015
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

This is the reason we call them stealers!!!

Can a non-functional air con system cause an MOT failure?

While a non-functioning air con system may be annoying on hot summer days, it is not essential to the safe running of the vehicle, for this reason it is not checked during your MOT. Your MOT will not consider any features which are seen as luxuries or 'nice to haves' so you can still pass with broken air con.

- See more at: https://www.rivervaleserviceandmot.co.u ... suulR.dpuf
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
scm

Post by scm »

BlackTypeR wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 pm yep, the worst part is that I actually never use my AC and nothing was probably wrong with it ...
If you never use it that probably explains why it needed regassing - you should run the aircon at least monthly or the seals dry out and the refrigerant leaks away. Use it or lose it! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I'd start off the conversation by saying that you are thinking of going to trading standards as what you were told about the air con and MOT was dishonest, let alone the VAT being absent in the quote. Then pause.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
BlackTypeR

Post by BlackTypeR »

scm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:24 pm
BlackTypeR wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 pm yep, the worst part is that I actually never use my AC and nothing was probably wrong with it ...
If you never use it that probably explains why it needed regassing - you should run the aircon at least monthly or the seals dry out and the refrigerant leaks away. Use it or lose it! ;)
Absolutely, I have no problem that it might needed something. Unfortunately I believed it was something that came up during the MOT inspections and I was told that it would be an advisory on the DVLA website. I would have sorted it else rather than paying 250gbp scam (which they say was a service rather than a regas, once I agreed to it he said car will be ready in 30minz lol)

Thank you mickjaguar, that is helpful. Trying to get hold of JLR customer service on Tuesday and query the prices quoted online for west motor London Kingston, whether they are with or without VAT.
Black F Type R AWD 2015
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I can only refer to our experience with our local dealership. Our XE was serviced under the 3+ scheme and the price and quote both included VAT, inline with the advertised figures that used to be available. Every time a price has been quoted it was the true cost.

F type was on a 5 year service plan, with the fifth service last year. I was called as the service schedule recommended new plugs, but the service plan didn't include them as this used to be only for year 6. Up to me if I wanted them changed or not. The additional cost outside the service plan would be £150. Is that plus VAT? No that's everything. So £150 plus the MOT? No that includes the MOT as we have discounted the plug replacement! How it should be.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

To be honest, sometimes a good relationship with a trusted garage is so important, and you may have fell foul to some less than perhaps perfectly honest procedures however you did agree to the work and prices?

With cars and carpets there are always deals to be done.

I had a quote from Jaguar online for 4th service and the price was ridiculous and didn't include all the 4th service items like rear diff oil change.

A good chat to local main dealer and ended up with a price lower than the two independents quoted with everything included in writing and confirmed over email. Two front wipers were £37 fitted whilst I waited BTW.

Having a good relationship with the garage of your choice was something I learnt early on and has always stood good over the decades.

Hope you get the resolution you want.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

mickjaguar wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:03 pm I can only refer to our experience with our local dealership. Our XE was serviced under the 3+ scheme and the price and quote both included VAT, inline with the advertised figures that used to be available. Every time a price has been quoted it was the true cost.

F type was on a 5 year service plan, with the fifth service last year. I was called as the service schedule recommended new plugs, but the service plan didn't include them as this used to be only for year 6. Up to me if I wanted them changed or not. The additional cost outside the service plan would be £150. Is that plus VAT? No that's everything. So £150 plus the MOT? No that includes the MOT as we have discounted the plug replacement! How it should be.
Hi mickjaguar.
You mention that the plug on your v6 are not included in the 5th year service, mine is due the 5th year inclusive service in December.
I had a look at the service schedule and it clearly says renew spark plugs (v6) see below.

Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 20.08.12.png

MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post