F Type Troubles

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
Mightyhunter

Post by Mightyhunter »

Dear Customer Relations,

I have owned a 400 sport since March this year but unfortunately there are a few issues that have come to light and I am looking to see if you can help me?

I purchased the car from HR Owen (who are being very helpful) and it came with a years warranty from them. The car has a full main dealer JLR service history and has been maintained accordingly. The car currently has c21,000 miles on the clock and is immaculate in all other aspects.

The car was booked into Pentland LR in Perth to have the faults diagnosed. They have contacted the warranty company who have declined to accept ‘responsibility’ for most of the work required.

I have been told that the active exhaust valves have failed meaning the back box section needs to be replaced - £2k+! I can see, having read on a few different forums, that this isn’t an entirely uncommon problem. I’m really frustrated that a car with so few miles on the clock and so we’ll maintained can have a problem such as this. I would expect an exhaust system to last far longer than this before any parts needed replaced. The tyres have done more miles than the exhaust! The warranty company say this is not covered.

There is also a problem with the headlight on the drivers side. Within the sealed unit there is a build up of plastic or glass ‘rubbings’ - this is clearly a manufacturing or build issue as it has occurred within the casing - see attached pic. I’ve been told this will be c£1.6k plus fitting to fix. Again, the warranty will not cover this.

The 3rd problem is that there has been a failure of the brake pedal box assembly. The warranty company have agreed to contribute towards this but will not cover it entirely. I am being asked to contribute around £400 for this work to be done.

And finally, I also have vertical scratches in the drivers door window. From research, this would appear to be caused by the rubber gutter trapping grit which in turn scratches the window as it is open or closed. There was a TSB for this which shows this is a known design issue - JLR JTB00502v2.

I love the car and intend on keeping it for a long time. I am really disappointed though that within the first few months of ownership that the car has suffered from some significant faults even though it had been maintained meticulously. I would not expect a car of this value, used or new, to suffer such profound problems this early in its life, particularly when it’s been well looked after. I fully expected that ownership of a car such as this comes with additional expense over the everyday run around but a c£5k bill arising 4 months into ownership is not palatable and certainly not when the faults are design/build quality orientated.

I really hope you can help!

Yours Sincerely,

David

6F2A570D-71BF-48AF-B797-D270F63DEFF3.jpeg

6D888AEC-CC08-406B-8892-9B1AD26DCD38.jpeg

Glacier 400 Sport AWD (18.5MY), Pan Roof, Illuminated Treads, Bronze Paddles

DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Sorry to hear of your issues. I too had the exhaust issue & paid for a replacement. My car was under JLR Used Approved but terms said exhaust not covered. Others have successfully had theirs replaced.

Isn’t your gripe with either who you purchased car from or the warranty company?
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
CJSJAG

Post by CJSJAG »

I would apprceiate any reference to the window scratch TSB.
After receiving my new 2021 P380 a similar scratch on the driver' side window was noticed within the first 50 miles or so.
It could well have been there from the beginning - just not noticed.
The JLR dealer threatened that unless they found an "internal"reason for the scratching, it would not be warranty item.
Hard/impossible to prove it was there from the get-go.
Have sort-of polished it out so that I do not notice it unless I look very carefully in the right light, but still curious about the TSB.
2021 R-Dynamic P380 Convertible BRG
FrankyBT

Post by FrankyBT »

I too have scratch marks on my windows. Bought the car second hand 8 weeks ago. How do you polish the scratches out? What materials are needed?

Not worth trying to get a warranty claim as other forum posts indicate it’s a waste of time and effort. ;)
MY16 V6 Supercharged Coupe
Ivory leather interior electrical adjustable seats
Panoramic Roof
19in Black spiderweb wheels.
Love it!! :D
scm

Post by scm »

FrankyBT wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:13 pmNot worth trying to get a warranty claim as other forum posts indicate it’s a waste of time and effort. ;)
That depends on your dealer, some are far better than others. But it's pot luck.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

FrankyBT wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:13 pm I too have scratch marks on my windows. Bought the car second hand 8 weeks ago. How do you polish the scratches out? What materials are needed?

Not worth trying to get a warranty claim as other forum posts indicate it’s a waste of time and effort. ;)
My windows and seals all were replaced under warranty, so definitely worth pursuing.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Mightyhunter

Post by Mightyhunter »

DaddyDarren wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:48 pm Sorry to hear of your issues. I too had the exhaust issue & paid for a replacement. My car was under JLR Used Approved but terms said exhaust not covered. Others have successfully had theirs replaced.

Isn’t your gripe with either who you purchased car from or the warranty company?
I am getting nowhere with the warranty company, they are being pretty staunch on their decision. Their exclusions clearly state that exhaust and electrical items are not covered. The dealership are looking into what they can do but as the exhaust and headlamp issues are clearly a manufacturing issue then they believe JLR should be involved in the repair discussions.
Glacier 400 Sport AWD (18.5MY), Pan Roof, Illuminated Treads, Bronze Paddles
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

In the UK do you not have an equivalent to our ACCC? Manufacturers warranty in Australia is not the only protection we have, under law a product has a reasonable life and a car failing after a few years is hardly reasonable. It often means that a part can be fixed/replaced free outside of warranty under statutory warranty (law) but also can mean that a deal is done such that full cost won’t be passed to the owner but a portion based on reasonable expectation of when the part would likely fail. As our law is based on UK law I would be shocked if you didn’t have such protections. Imagine a fridge completely packing up after 2 years and needing to be thrown out, surely you have that protection by law.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

The faults of the exhaust and pedal box will be covered under consumer credit law. Forget about warranties and just inform the dealer they are prexisting and as less than 6 months since purchase they are legally bound to fix them.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:41 am The faults of the exhaust and pedal box will be covered under consumer credit law. Forget about warranties and just inform the dealer they are prexisting and as less than 6 months since purchase they are legally bound to fix them.
It's amazing how many pre-existing faults turn out to be warranty claims after all! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post