Buy an ex-hire car?

Anything F-Type related......
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Hi,

I've been looking at various used F-Types online, and have come across one which i quite like. However upon further enquiries, I've discovered that it's an ex-hire car. Other than that fact, I've got no other concerns about the car. It's a Jaguar approved used car so comes with 2 years warranty.

So I thought I'd ask on here for any advice or opinions regarding this?

Thanks

MOz

Post by MOz »

If you don't mind a car being thrashed within an inch of its life, worst case scenario from cold and driven by people who clearly don't have any need to "look after it" then go for it.

For me, I always see the worst in anything and I'd avoid like the plague.
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
jc74

Post by jc74 »

If you don't mind a car being thrashed within an inch of its life, worst case scenario from cold and driven by people who clearly don't have any need to "look after it" then go for it.

For me, I always see the worst in anything and I'd avoid like the plague.

Yes, that is my concern, and pretty much the assumption you have to make with all hire cars, especially performance ones!

I guess my question should have been phrased:

If I were to buy an ex-hire, will it prove to be less reliable long term than one which isn't? Other than knowing it's most likely been ragged, what else should I be looking out for? (Cosmetic damage will be looked for regardless of history).

jc742016-12-09 19:40:45
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

It would depend on price for me. If it's cheaper due to it's previous status and a 2 year warranty its worth a look.

If it's not much less than others - avoid.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
jc74

Post by jc74 »

It would depend on price for me. If it's cheaper due to it's previous status and a 2 year warranty its worth a look.

Good point, how much cheaper would you reasonably allow yourself to pay compared to a similar? It'll at least give me some ideas if I do decide it's worth negotiating...

V8FTW

Post by V8FTW »

is the seat shagged ?
F-TYPE R, Carbon Ceramics + Forged Wheels, ALL the Carbon Fibre - Mirrors, Side Power Vents, Bonnet Vents, Front Splitter & Interior Console
RAYMOB

Post by RAYMOB »

If you have concerns Think about the concerns when you try to sell it on You might get it cheaper now but what is the long term cost.
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

High mileage? Mine was a demo car, im sure it had a fairly hard start in life but ive put 20k on it since and its proved no different to any others ive run into in terms of squeaks, rattles n trim. Im fairly risk friendly,so for me if its the spec you want and you are planning to use it fairly hard yourself rather than store in air conditioned luxury then for me its a better deal than waiting. I hate waiting ;) Jess
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Good point, how much cheaper would you reasonably allow yourself to pay compared to a similar? It'll at least give me some ideas if I do decide it's worth negotiating...

Whats the mileage? If its high and a 2013 reg i'd want it for less than 40k.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
jc74

Post by jc74 »

The mileage is I'd say about average. Certainly not at any level which would concern me.

jc742016-12-10 18:03:23