Rear Back Box Noise/Replacement

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

I just had the last service in the 3 year warranty plan that came with the car, I was a couple of months late taking it in but didn't think it would be a problem. Service was okay everything normal, however, I had discussed a noise coming from the rear of the car that was like a squeak if you set off at low speed and then back off the throttle. After investigation the service manager told me it was the baffles in the back box that were moving and making the noise. His advice was that it could only be fixed with a new back box at £1400 (ouch). I explained that I would not expect this to occur after 14k miles and i was not prepared to pay and it should be covered by Jaguar. I also said that the back tyres have lasted longer than the back box. The dealer said they would look into this with Jag UK and potentially pay the costs if it could be authorised either by Jag UK or the dealership (Swansway Crewe). After a week or so, I am still waiting for an answer. Has anyone else had a similar issue ?
Thanks
Stu
Caldera Red MY19 V8 AWD R

Timbo

Post by Timbo »

They will try and get out of that considering you let the warranty lapse, the date of the warranty is set in stone, how do i know!!
My warranty and service plan were started on different dates, my warranty ran out 2 months before my service plan, so i had to pay £150 for a 150 point check to be done on my car so i could renew my warranty which because i let it lapse is now £200 more than before it lapsed.
Factor in the £150 for the check that i had to have done, so that now makes it £350 more expensive, i havent decided if to do it yet, ive got a month to decide.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

A quick update on progress with this, my local dealership (Swansway) have been very good about the issue and are fitting a new back box tomorrow under warranty/goodwill basis. They agree it's not good that tyres last longer than a back box, and the fact it occurred so close the warranty period. Fingers crossed all will be fixed tomorrow.
Nick

Post by Nick »

That will be really good if they do that for you
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Mine was refused under warranty when it rattled, so I said 'fair enough'. So I invoked consumer credit law as I only had the car 2 months when rattle was diagnosed
New box fitted last weekend at retail cost £1600 plus fitting. All free sir :)
Very happy
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

So the brand new back box was fitted on Wednesday so gave it a test run yesterday and no sqweeks. All done under goodwill by Swansway in Crewe. I must say they have been amazing in the customer service department, especially Matt who sorted everything out for me. They have only been open a few months and so it is the first time I have used them (3 year service under Service Plan) and the back box issue.
I also have to say I had a collect service from home, this is always a bit worrying when someone turns up to collect your car but Simon was also very professional and took great care of the car and appreciated the responsibility to ensure nothing happened to it.
Restores some faith that people care.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Good result 😀
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Pritchard

Post by Pritchard »

ive now had 3 backboxes on my car. all under warranty.

its '14 model,
i had the first replaced due to the valves 'sticking' on the ative exhaust, causing an annoying rattle when open and when open.closing. these was built-in to the backbox so the whole unit was replaced.

i also had something replaced as part of a vacuum feed, that was deleted in later models anyway... i seem to think that came off the exhaust, and was also inclused in above fix.

anyway, exhaust was also replaced a few thousand miles later wit the same active value rattle. replaced with a new exhaust from what i assume is an >17 model, as i heard a definate difference in exhaust note after the swap. i mean, i complete different design sort of noise.

no rattles yet on this one.... but then, its only been 6 weeks.

(ive had about 8 visits to under warratny so far!)
Arne

Post by Arne »

I have a 15 R and so far no problems with the valves. However on last service they cleaned and lubricated the valve hinges (with some high temp resistant grease), just as a preventive maintenance.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Monster

Post by Monster »

My 2014 V6 S has just gone into my local main dealer for a service.
I asked them to have a look at an annoying squeak coming from the back end.
They tell me it is the active exhausf valves.
To solve the issue they say it will need a new back box £1400 +.
My warranty has refused to pay out as exhausts are excluded. :x

I read from a previous post that applying high temp grease to the valve hinges could resolve it.
My dealer refused to carry out this work as it isn't an approved technique....computer says no!

I think i will have to take it to my local mechanic.
Having never been underneath the car, are the active exhaust valves exposed and easy to get at once the car is on a ramp?

Thanks

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post