Exhuast Squeak

Anything F-Type related......
ftype88

Post by ftype88 »

Hello Ftype Hive mind!

Ive noticed something has recently started on my 2013 3.0 V6 S - when i press the open exhaust button I hear some high pitched squeaking as it opens. I then notice when i start to accelerate a rattle, sort of like a loose bolt sound. The exhaust note also possibly isn't quite as high pitched but sounds deeper than it did before. Im guessing the muffler isn't fully opening. Is it just a case of giving it a bit of WD40?

thanks

Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

Spray as you operate the actuator manually when under the car and check for any loose nuts
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Might be easier to check for loose nuts once you’re back out from under the car 😳
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Couple of comments
This issue is fairly common and usually requires a new exhaust back box as one or both valves are wrecked. That’s circa £1600 plus fitting and isn’t covered by non factory warranty. I know as I have a new one fitted (for free in the end)

Secondly do not go near it with WD40. As the name says it a water dispersant. Use something that doesn’t gum up. I use Jaguars own lubricantimg oil, but these oils burn off hence not a real fix

Give it a try but there’s only one long term solution

If you purchased recently say and I have some other advice using consumer law
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

The valve is a really simply vac operated butterfly
The noise will be the actuator
Grab it spray wd40 move rod back and forth check little nuts holding rod in place
Dont waste money on jlr one get velocity ap from david appleby better look better sound better quality
ftype88

Post by ftype88 »

Gasman2 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:10 am The valve is a really simply vac operated butterfly
The noise will be the actuator
Grab it spray wd40 move rod back and forth check little nuts holding rod in place
Dont waste money on jlr one get velocity ap from david appleby better look better sound better quality
I was looking into this - if i need a replacement is that your top recommendation? I also saw quicksilver and capristo. I'd rather fit an aftermarket if i'm going to pay the full whack, but hopefully wont come to that.
nurgle

Post by nurgle »

I had the same issue, full exhaust box replaced by the dealer (returned in the grace period for fixing).

I would say that as this issue is so easy to replicate (turn car on, it will squeak, then rev to 1800-2000, foot off accelerator, squeak at about 1500-1600), should be something any used buyer checks for.
ftype88

Post by ftype88 »

nurgle wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 am I had the same issue, full exhaust box replaced by the dealer (returned in the grace period for fixing).

I would say that as this issue is so easy to replicate (turn car on, it will squeak, then rev to 1800-2000, foot off accelerator, squeak at about 1500-1600), should be something any used buyer checks for.
Absolutely. I must admit mine only started after a few weeks and it was noticeable that the engine noises changed. Bit annoying!
ftype88

Post by ftype88 »

So I took the car to the garage that sold me the car, the jag technician there thinks it’s a split hose or something minor, he did do computer diagnostics to check the engine that all came back perfect.
I did say from others experience this is a back box replacement issue but he didn’t seem convinced. It’s booked in for a couple of weeks time to get to the bottom of it, and they’ll cover any repair, but we’ll see. The sounds completely changed and they admitted that readily.
Bobster67

Post by Bobster67 »

I'm interested in this as i have this very issue with my car (2013 V6S). I bought the car from a main dealer and reported the fault soon after in May. Am only just getting round to booking he car in for a diagnostic (tomorrow) so will be interested to see how things go.