Android Auto and Apple carplay. Not for all recent F-Types.

Anything F-Type related......
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I had a confirmation today : MY2019.5 will get this. Loads of other models will, but probably the 'neutered'
versions like NL/UK/PT/IR will not get the 'upgrade' to Android Auto and Apple carplay...
It comes via Jaguar Land Rover's Smartphone Pack, which is available on all 2019 and future models, but with conditions.
The car in question must have the 10-inch InControl Touch Pro touchscreen or split-touchscreen Touch Pro Duo infotainment systems, plus navigation, InControl Apps and Wi-Fi connectivity. Those are included on some upper trim levels and available as separate options on others. So basically, depending on trim level, you could be looking at a simple $300 add or a long-line of other extra charges just to get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/23/jag ... ccounter=1

As the 'neutered' infotainment system only has a 10Gb SSD instead of the standard 60Gb in other markets
where they also have the WiFi hotspot.. ...

So if you have the WiFi hotspot, you are safe..

My car [MY2019] was build in march 2018 and delivered a month later. After 6 months its already outdated !

I also found out that the hardware required to be able to install the firmware for android Auto & Applecarplay,
costs around € 3000,- . All this because some dumbass manager had the brilliant idea that using a two wire
cable for the antenna, a special 'non hotspot' antenna and a 10Gb instead of a 60Gb SSD would safe JLR's future,
this for maybe 3000 cars... So just the extra investment for the special parts in limited numbers they'll never recoup..

They would have saved millions if they hadn't spend it on the 'ReRun-app' [RIP] , only for advertisement and this
stupid commercial.. It started out as a 'smartphone app' , suddenly it was an Iphone app, and now its GONE...

The leaddeveloper LinkedIn page [ my advise to you dear man ; erase this from your page..];

"..Led the development of the Jaguar ReRun iOS app in close partnership with GoPro that utilised vehicle data and GoPro
videos to enhance customers driving experiences. This lead to an additional PR value of over £16MM with the launch of
the 2018 Jaguar F-Type.."
:roll:

This video had 322 views when I posted it here, wonder how many that will be soon.. ;)

They could have used this money for cars actually sold instead of stripping these.

To draw a single customer to buy your carbrand instead of the one he drives seems to cost € 1500 in advertising,
money wasted JLR, money wasted... As I already was a customer for over ten years !

I now hope some smart forum member with hacking abilities can solve this. Like a brilliant D3 forum member did
with the bleutooth module for the D3 in 2010...

I am quite sure this F-Type is my last JLR car ever. :evil:

JLR is quite capable on their own to loose customers, they don't need other brands or BREXIT to do it for them.

The car is brilliant but the endless series of features that vapourize, the complete LACK of answer of JLR for months
on the 'rerun' front make me very uneasy what happens in case of a catastrophic event, like a busted cylinder head
that I had with the uniar [like Ingenium] version of the MiTo. That cars paperwork shows it had a new head at 33kkms
and I had another at 67kkms, luckily for me under warranty.

Funniest thing is, there has been an app since 2011 that does almost the same.. JLR re-invented the wheel..
I just don't dare to use it as plugging in an OBD2 BT connector could shortwire things in my new car...
It even has an extra feature, a track overlay showing your route 'HEAD-UP-DISPLAY' style... :mrgreen:

Be ware, this youtube video is 6 years old. Today it can be made in 4K if you have a phone that has that
capability.. .. no need for GoPro..

Last edited by Dan_Veluwe on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Just to clarify a couple of things here Dan for other members.
I cannot comment on the issues with the "ReRun" app which you have issues with as I haven't heard mention of it before you raised it.

As regards the linked article about Apple Carplay and Android Auto I need to point out that appears to be an American article and certainly as far as I have heard, there are flaws in some of the comments especially from what I have seen from US members on other forums.

InControl Pro with the 10" screen has been out for over a couple of years on other Jaguar cars but is fairly recent to the F-Type.
There will be members on here who are fully aware of some issues with the system from their previous cars.

Members on both the XE, F-Pace and Velar forums HAVE had their systems upgraded to the latest App version of the pro (Version 18c) and then had the smartphone pack installed by the dealer enabling both Apple Car play and Android Auto.
The app versions have been upgraded for free provided the current installed version has a fault ( ;) ) and quite a few had the smartphone pack installed for free including a couple of US members.
However, JLR are going to start charging for the smartphone pack and the figure of around £200 has been mentioned.
New vehicles in the UK at least, seem to have Apple Car Play and Android auto from the factory.
But it IS possible to upgrade existing Pro systems to the latest version which is compatible with Apple Carplay and Android auto but it may incur a cost.
As to whether people think that is fair or unreasonable that is their opinion.

I think we all have to accept that new specs come out regularly which obviously won't be on our current vehicles.
I'm not going to go into my dealer and ask for my money back for an option I paid for previously that is now standard on new vehicles.

A search of both the XE and F-Pace forums will pull up lots of information on this subject for those that feel the need for these "upgrades".
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

PhilB,

My car was advertised with 'WiFi' and '60Gb SSD and 10Gb media storage' . It doesn't have it. And I just called my dealer and they confirmed its is not in the planning to upgrade cars that don't have WiFi even if they have the other requirements. So the article is pretty spot on.

So its not they later introduced an option that I paid for [ although I did pay for an option I did not get], but the car did not meet the specs they sold me. And now, putting insult on injury, they also don't do the repair for the [ most rediculous and absolutely useless 'apps' package that came with the car as standard and which has NO use at all]. I am seriously seeking legal advice and although the option to reject a car does not excist on the continent [as far as I know], I will dive into EU consumerlaw to find out what my options are. Even a € 100 smartphone gets updates the first 3 years by law, why not a € 85.000 car ???
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

The first line of my reply was "to clarify things on here for other members".
In that the majority of members on here are UK based and that article isn't right for them.

I appreciate that there can be significant differences between specs for the same car across countries and for many differing reasons.
I am in the process of speaking with a Dutch member on the XE forums about the Car Play addition with his IctPro to try and shed some light on the situation in the Netherlands which might help you.

Consumer Law should be pretty straightforward as in the UK if the car isn't as ordered/advertised then it's a straight rejection and I would imagine it's pretty similar across the EU .
Good luck with your legal challenge.
scm

Post by scm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 am Even a € 100 smartphone gets updates the first 3 years by law, why not a € 85.000 car ???
I sympathise with your situation, but this analogy isn't really appropriate - there's a world of difference between updating a smartphone with a bit of software, and updating a car that requires additional hardware. I can't see many smartphone manufacturers updating back level phones with, say, extra cameras because the latest model has more, or adding more memory because the updated software takes up more space.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

RE: The re-run app

Would appear Jaguar have pulled the plug on the re-run app in UK as the web page for it now displays 404
https://www.jaguar.com/incontrol-global ... rerun.html

And it has been removed from iTunes and Google Play stores.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Tel

Post by Tel »

Call me old fashioned, but I buy a car to drive, not to browse, or play tinternet on.
I find it quite odd that people see the need to have connectability when they should be concentrating on the job at hand!

I can do that on my phone.

Yeah, I know, I'm old fashioned 😉
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

The reason that I would like to have CarPlay is so that I could display waze on the Nav screen.
The Bosch myspin apps are pretty useless. I doubt that waze will make an app suitable for myspin and even if they did JLR would have to enable it. So as my dealer told me today, if I want CarPlay I have to buy a new car.
Lots of useless apps we haven’t got here...
http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_apps.html
17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:34 am Call me old fashioned ...
You're old fashioned. Welcome to my club ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I just looked into the facts, what does Anrdoid Auto bring me extra. What do I desperately need...

NOTHING !!!

I already have means to call from my steering wheel, I can play music and I have satnav,
so I don't have to follow with android crap in my car infotainment...  :lol:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post