Running in a new F-Type?

Anything F-Type related......
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Hi all

I ordered a brand new F-Type at the weekend and to say I’m excited is an understatement. It’s going to be a long few months till March!

Anyway, it’s been a long time since I bought a new car and I was wondering if you still had to ‘run in’ new cars? When I’ve bought new vehicles in the past you have to drive the carefully for roughly 2,000 miles to let everything bed in before you can start revving beyond say 4,000rpm. Is this still the case?

Thanks for reading!
MY20 F-Type P340

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Yes, as you suggest there is a piece in the owners manual. Although it doesn't really equate to slow driving at all.

F-Type Running in Period
RUNNING-IN
Running-in period
The following guide-lines will be useful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Jaguar. Jaguars are built using high-precision manufacturing methods but the moving parts of the engine must still bed in relative to one another. This process occurs mainly in the first 3,000 km (2,000 miles) of operation. During this Running-in period of 3,000 km (2,000 miles) you should:
• Avoid frequent cold starts followed by short-distance driving.
• Preferably take longer trips.
• Do not use full throttle during starts and normal driving.
• Avoid continuous operation at high engine speed and abrupt stops.
• Do not participate in track days, sports driving schools or similar.
In addition specifically up to 2,000 km (1,200 miles):
• Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do not exceed an engine speed of 4500 rpm (revolutions per minute) and a road speed of 170 km/h (105 mph).

From 2,000 km (1,200 miles) to 3,000 km (2,000 miles):
• Engine and road speeds can be increased gradually.
• Engine speeds in excess of 5000rpm should only be used briefly e.g. when overtaking.

At all times, not just during the Running-in period:
• Do not exceed 4,000 rpm until the engine has reached full operating temperature.
• Avoid labouring the engine by operating the engine in too high a gear at low speeds.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Perfect! Thanks so much for your response. Exactly as I thought. I wonder how many people actually follow those rules though! Given my mileage it, I probably won’t be overtaking anyone until summer!!
MY20 F-Type P340
scm

Post by scm »

Blueone wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 pmGiven my mileage it, I probably won’t be overtaking anyone until summer!!
Don't bet on it, F-Types are pretty quick even at low throttle settings! ;)
Which model did you order?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

scm wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:06 am
Blueone wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 pmGiven my mileage it, I probably won’t be overtaking anyone until summer!!
Don't bet on it, F-Types are pretty quick even at low throttle settings! ;)
Which model did you order?
V6, P340. They only had a P380 to test drive so I’m hoping the difference in acceleration and power isn’t too obvious as I was so impressed! Couldn’t justify the extra £10k though so went with the 340...
MY20 F-Type P340
scm

Post by scm »

Blueone wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:46 am Couldn’t justify the extra £10k though so went with the 340...
It's an F-Type - what's to justify? :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

the power difference is easy rectified later if you need more, the cost difference is in the suspension and handling electronics, hope you enjoy your new baby.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi, congrats and welcome ...

You will only notice the difference in a drag race and max revs as the extra 40 ponies don’t wake up until near the top of the rev range ... I had a thouroughly enjoyed the 340’s performance ... I bought on spec/kit the car had and didn’t even factor 340/380 I tot my considerations and was never dissapointed.

If after a few years/miles you feel you want more then there a few reputable companies that will now remap or offer other tuning aids to recover and/or exceed the Jaguar remap from 340 up to around 420 ...

Ref running in ... be smooth with everything ... worry less about a rev limit and more about mechanical sympathy ... if you gentle apply brakes, throttle, steering the components will bed together better and serve you well in the long term. I’ve applied this to countless new vehicles over the years and to date never had a bad car ... and often had an over performing (according to published stats)
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

This is all really great advice. Thanks all! They only had a 380 to test at the dealers. I was so impressed with it. The speed was a real rush and the drama when accelerating and overtaking was brilliant! It's reassuring to hear that should remain present in the 340 as I was worried I'd be pining after the 380 in terms of acceleration, noise/drama. The salesman said I wouldn't notice but he's bound to say that so it's good to get honest answer from here.

Is the remap a 'safe' option? As in does it put the engine under any more strain/could it void warranties etc?
Senninha wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm Ref running in ... be smooth with everything ... worry less about a rev limit and more about mechanical sympathy ... if you gentle apply brakes, throttle, steering the components will bed together better and serve you well in the long term. I’ve applied this to countless new vehicles over the years and to date never had a bad car ... and often had an over performing (according to published stats)
Thanks for this. I've only ever had second hand cars with this kind of power and it always concerned me how they were treated from new. Looking forward to taking care of this one.
MY20 F-Type P340
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Blueone wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:36 pm This is all really great advice. Thanks all! They only had a 380 to test at the dealers. I was so impressed with it. The speed was a real rush and the drama when accelerating and overtaking was brilliant! It's reassuring to hear that should remain present in the 340 as I was worried I'd be pining after the 380 in terms of acceleration, noise/drama. The salesman said I wouldn't notice but he's bound to say that so it's good to get honest answer from here.

Is the remap a 'safe' option? As in does it put the engine under any more strain/could it void warranties etc?
Senninha wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm Ref running in ... be smooth with everything ... worry less about a rev limit and more about mechanical sympathy ... if you gentle apply brakes, throttle, steering the components will bed together better and serve you well in the long term. I’ve applied this to countless new vehicles over the years and to date never had a bad car ... and often had an over performing (according to published stats)
Thanks for this. I've only ever had second hand cars with this kind of power and it always concerned me how they were treated from new. Looking forward to taking care of this one.
I wouldn’t have a remap whilst car in warranty as if you have problems they are likely to point to the remap as probable cause.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post